Contents Index to the book, Pictorial Lansing: Great City on the Grand, by Helen E. Grainger, 1976
Great snapshot of Lansing during the United States Bicentennial.
One page is a photo and the next is the story behind it.
Some no longer exist in November 2014.
Pages 0-1 = Field Trip Bus of the Lansing School District.
Pages 2-3 = Great City on the Grand, aerial view of the Grand River and Downtown.
Pages 4-5 = Biddle City Plat Map, 1836.
Pages 6-7 = Kalamazoo Street Bridge – built in 1926, still showing railroad tracks going under.
Pages 8-9 = Oldsmobile Monument – 1953 marker telling where the first Olds was made, at Kalamazoo and Cherry streets.
Pages 10-11 = 1897 Olds, history of early automobiles built.
Pages 12-13 = Oldsmobile Curved Dash Runabout – built from 1900 to 1904.
Pages 14-15 = Ransom Eli Olds – photo and bio, 1864-1950.
Pages 16-17 = River Street Bridge – where River Street goes under The Olds Freeway.
Pages 18-19 = Two Rivers Meet – Red Cedar River and Grand River.
Pages 20-21 = Ferry Boats, on the Grand River – 1870’s.
Pages 22-23 = I-496 Freeway, officially opened on December 18, 1970.
Pages 24-25 = Olds Mansion – built in 1903-1904, torn down in 1966, was at 720 South Washington Avenue.
Pages 26-27 = Cherry Street School – built in 1861, changed to office building in 1933, 520 Cherry Street.
Pages 28-29 = State Journal Paper Truck – photo in front of warehouse.
Pages 30-31 = State Journal Tree – first floor of State Journal building, cut down in 1949 for new SJ building.
Pages 32-33 = Lions Den – house with the glass on top, 213 South Grand Avenue, Brauer’s 1861 House restaurant.
Pages 34-35 = Lions Den – enlarged view of the glass on top of the roof.
Pages 36-37 = Lansing Fire Department – 120 East Shiawassee, built in 1949.
Pages 38-39 = World’s First Motorized Fire Truck – used first time on December 17, 1908, photo in front of fire station at the corner of Allegan and Grand.
Pages 40-41 = Michigan Avenue Bridge – replaced several times, photo of under construction, new bridge opened on December 5, 1975.
Pages 42-43 = Lansing Board of Water and Light (Electricity) – Ottawa Street Plant, 1938-1950, originally built in 1908.
Pages 44-45 = Bell Telephone Building – 211 North Washington, history of phones in Lansing, first in 1880.
Pages 46-47 = Kositchek’s Store – 113 North Washington Square, in Lansing since 1869, photo showing H. Kositchek & Bros., and Lansing Insurance Agency.
Pages 48-49 = Central United Methodist Church – 200 West Ottawa Street, built in 1888-1889,.
Pages 50-51 = High Rise Parking – ramp at 300 North Capitol, first used in February 1972.
Pages 52-53 = City Hall – NE corner of Capitol and Michigan Avenues. Building was started February 1, 1955 and completed in May of 1958.
Pages 54-55 = Parking Meter Checker – first checker hired on February 7, 1966 – later nicknamed “Meter Maids” – photo of checker Jeri Lloyd.
Pages 56-57 = Metropolitan Police Department – next to City Hall on Michigan Avenue.
Pages 58-59 = Michigan National Tower – NE corner of Capitol Avenue an Allegan Street, started in 1927 and finished on April 7, 1931.
Pages 60-61 = Capitol Plaque (Sign) (1848-1879) – on Woolworth’s Store on Allegan Street, just west of Washington Avenue. The photo says: Burned in 1884. Erected by Lansing Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1914.
Pages 62-63 = Sculpture “Construction 150” – Washington Square, corner of Michigan and Washington. Made by Jose de Rivera in Long Island, New York.
Pages 64-65 = Bank of Lansing – NE corner of Washington and Michigan Avenues – building built in 1931. There has been a bank on each of the four corners of this intersection at some time.
Pages 66-67 = Austin Blair (statue) – east lawn of Capitol, at Michigan Avenue – put there in 1898.
Pages 68-69 = Capitol of Michigan (state capitol building) – Capitol Avenue at Michigan Avenue – dedicated on January 1, 1879. Cornerstone was put into place on October 2, 1873.
Pages 70-71 = Cooley Law School – 217 South Capitol Avenue – building built as Masonic Temple in 1929. Cooley Law School which had first classes in January 1973, moved into building in the spring of 1974.
Pages 72-73 = J. W. Knapp (Knapp’s department store) – 300 South Washington – built in 1937.
Pages 74-75 = Lansing Public Library – 401 South Capitol – moved into this new building in June 1964. Dedicated on October 18, 1964.
Pages 76-77 = Reutter Park – across the street (West) from the City Library – Lansing’s first park in 1878. It was first called Third Ward Park, then Central Park.
Pages 78-79 = Education Center – 500 West Lenawee – was once West Junior High School. Other building names: Partington Center; Ethnic Center; and the A.I.C. Center, which means Academic Interest Center.
Pages 80-81 = Lewis Cass Building – Northwest corner of Washtenaw and Walnut streets. Built in 1919 and called the State building. The architect was Edwin A. Bowd. On February 8, 1951 the building was set on fire.
Pages 82-83 = Federal Building – 315 West Allegan – Lansing’s main or number one Post Office. It was built in 1933.
Pages 84-85 = Civic Center – 505 West Allegan – cornerstone was laid on October 20, 1954 – the official dedication service took place on October 30, 1955.
Pages 86-87 = State of Michigan Office Buildings – One entire block, bounded by Allegan, Walnut, Ottawa and Pine Streets. Includes the Treasury building (4 stories, 1968); Law building (7 stories, 1968), Highway building (4 stories, 1967); and Mason building (8 stories, 1953).
Pages 88-89 = Ferris Park Towers – 323 North Walnut – apartment house that is 9 stories and completed around April of 1967.
Pages 90-91 = Michigan Historical Museum – 505 North Washington – building was built for Mrs. Sophie Turner around 1927. Small scale copy of Mount Vernon. Been a museum since the late 1940’s when Mrs. James M. (Sophie) Turner Jr. gave it to the city.
Pages 92-93 = Lansing Community College – 419 North Capitol – It started in September 1957 in Lansing Central High School. In 1973 a new vocational technical building was started, which is the picture that is shown.
Pages 94-95 = School For the Blind – 715 West Willow – school was started in 1874.
Pages 96-97 = The Warren Holmes Company and Kenneth Black Associate Architects, Incorporated – 820 North Washington. People who make plans for new school buildings. Holmes Company started in 1920 and Black’s Offices started in 1913. On January 1, 1973, the two companies joined to make one.
Pages 98-99 = George Washington Peck House – 1025 North Washington Avenue – Mr. Peck held various city and state political offices, including Mayor. The house is now used for apartments – Colonial Apartments.
Pages 100-101 = Turner Dodge House – 106 East North Street – Built around 1855 by James Turner Sr., it was Lansing’s first frame house. His daughter Abby married Frank Dodge. Now belongs to the Parks Department with grand opening on July 4, 1976.
Pages 102-103 = North Lansing Dam – Just east of the corner of North Washington and Grand River Avenue.
Pages 104-105 = First House Plaque (sign on a rock) – South West corner of Center St. & Grand River Ave.
Pages 106-107 = Grist Mill – 1131 Race Street – a few feet south of the corner of Grand River and Turner Street. This one was built in 1873.
Pages 108-109 = Water Wells – Race Street, where Turner Street and Grand River meet. Lansing is one of the few cities in the world that gets all of its water from wells.
Pages 110-111 = Lansing Ice and Fuel – Coal Towers – 911 Center, Near the North Lansing Dam. Big silos or towers to put coal in. These big towers were built in 1930, and used until 1975.
Pages 112-113 = Friedland Iron and Metal Company – 302-314 East Maple at Center Street. A place where used paper and metal are bought and then sent away to be made into new. Company started here around 1885-1890.
Pages 114-115 = Trains and Coal – Grand River Just East of Cedar Street. Photo of the old North Lansing train station. The first train to come to Lansing came from Owosso on November 19, 1862.
Pages 116-117 = Quinto Sol – 719 East Grand River, just east of Cedar Street. Mural on west wall by Jose Mojica, painted in the summer of 1971. Quinto Sol means “Fifth Sun”.
Pages 118-119 = Coal Tipple – Gier Street at High Street – A building to help get coal onto a train.
Pages 120-121 = Lake Lansing Road Gravel Pit – 1384 Lake Lansing Road – North side of Lansing.
Pages 122-123 = Lansing School District – Harry L. Chamberlin – Vehicle Maintenance Center – 2817 Chamberlin Lane. Bus garage for the Lansing school buses, first used on January 3, 1972.
Pages 124-125 = Gunnisonville School (Old) – Southeast corner of Wood Street and Clark Road. Built in 1907, still being used in 1958 and now belongs to the Lansing school system. On November 5, 1975, it was dedicated as a living museum.
Pages 126-127 = Gunnisonville School (New) – 1454 East Clark Road – built in 1954.
Pages 128-129 = Michigan Millers Mutual Fire Insurance Company Fire Pumper (Queen City) – 2425 East Grand River Avenue.
Pages 130-131 = Frandor Shopping Center – 300 Frandor Avenue. First shopping center in Lansing, built in 1954 and first in Michigan outside of Detroit. It was a golf course owned by Francis and Dorothy Corr. Got its name by taking the first three letters of each name.
Pages 132-133 = Water Conditioning Plant – 148 South Cedar Street (West Side) – built in 1939.
Pages 134-135 = Water Tank – 148 South Cedar Street (East Side). This big hill is not really a hill. It is a big tank or reservoir. Built in 1948.
Pages 136-137 = Lansing Municipal Market – Southwest Corner of Cedar and Shiawassee Streets. Built in 1938.
Pages 138-139 = Moores Park – 600 Moores River Drive – In 1918 Mr. Moores gave the land for the park to the City of Lansing in his will. In 1922 it became the first park with an outdoor swimming pool. In 1908 it was our first park with a zoo, then called Belvedere Park.
Pages 140-141 = Woldumar – 5539 Lansing Road – a place to learn about nature. Land donated by Gladys Olds Anderson. Dedicated in May 1966.
Pages 142-143 = Sky-Walk or Pedestrian Overpasses – Pennsylvania Avenue at Maple Hill Street. This was the location of the first one built in October 1957.
Pages 144-145 = Bingo – Potter Park Zoo, 1301 South Pennsylvania Avenue. Bingo, a female Asiatic elephant. Flown from Bangkok, Thailand on November 3, 1972 at five months old.
Pages 146-147 = Fuzz – Potter Park Zoo, 1301 South Pennsylvania Avenue. Fuzz, a big turtle. Came from Aldabra, an island off the east coast of Africa at twenty-five years old on June 15, 1972.
Pages 148-149 = Indian Statue – Potter Park, by the concession stand. Peter Toth, a Hungarian sculptor made this statue from an elm tree from North Logan Street. Finished it in late September 1975.
Pages 150-151 = Our Trolleys – Corner of Washington and Michigan Avenues. Photo is of horse-drawn street cars.
Pages 152-153 = Impression 5 – 1400 Keystone, in Midway Industrial Park. It is a see and do museum. It opened on Keystone on October 1, 1975.
Pages 154-155 = Lansing’s Wastewater Treatment Plant – 1623 Sunset. Completed in 1952. Our first wastewater plant was built here in 1938.
Pages 156-157 = Allen Street School – 1614 East Kalamazoo. This school was built in 1913. Includes list of all schools (at the time) and the years they were built.
Pages 158-159 = Pavement Plaque – On Michigan Avenue Median, Just east of Detroit Street. No date for marker, but estimated as 1933, when former Governor VanWagoner was Highway Commissioner.
Pages 160-161 = First Electric Traffic Signal – Intersection of Washington Avenue and Michigan Avenue. In 1914 there was a post with Stop and Go that an officer would turn every so often. In 1926 the first electric red light was at the same intersection.
Pages 162-163 = Early Gasoline Station – photo shows a horse-drawn gasoline filling station in the year 1900.
Pages 164-165 = About the Author – Helen Elaine (Clary) Grainger.
Page 166 = Book Photographer – Stephen Paul Oberski.
Page 167 = A School Bus Drivers Prayer.
Page 168 = Lansing, Capitol City of Michigan (1975 Data).
Page 169 = Census of Lansing – 1859 to 1970 numbers.
Page 170 = Michigan Cities and Records – Includes about Lansing – World’s largest manufacturer of styled wheels – Motor Wheel.
Pages 171-173 = Special Dates – 1838 to April 2, 1976.
Page 174 = History of the Bicentennial Symbols (Logos).
Pages 175-176 = Bibliography.
Compiled by Timothy Bowman of Lansing, Michigan – November 2014.