Monthly Archives: March 2014

Street Naming – 1901 article

Copied from The Lansing Journal – MI – December 3, 1901

The Names of Streets

Council Has Finally Passed the Ordinance

Many Names Are Changed

Ald. [Alderman] Hamilton Enjoys the Distinction of Having a Street Named in His Honor

Mayor Hammell called the attention of the common council last evening to the several ordinances before the council which had not been disposed of, and suggested that the ordinance changing the names of several of the streets in the city ought to be taken up at once, as considerable confusion has arisen as to the correct appellation to be given those streets.

On motion of Ald. Shank, the ordinance was taken up in the committee of the whole.

The only change made in the original ordinance was the adoption of the name Hamilton for Michigan street, instead of Madden, as proposed by the committee.

Ald. Dodge suggested the name of Hamilton for Michigan street and several felicitous remarks were handed the senior alderman from the fourth ward with regard to the honor conferred upon him in naming the street.

Following are the changes in street names proposed in the ordinance:

West street. which extends from Michigan avenue to Warner street, shall hereafter be part of and known as Logan street; Oak street, which extends from Grand river south to the Grand Trunk Western railway track, shall hereafter be known as River street; Lewis street, which extends from Genesee street to Saginaw street, to be hereafter known as Bartlett street; Claypool street, which extends from Michigan avenue north to Saginaw street, and Charlotte street, which extends from St. Joseph street to Isaac street, to be known as Butler street; Franklin street shall be changed to Franklin avenue; Linden avenue, which extends from Washington avenue to the western city limits, shall be changed to Mt. Hope avenue; Grover street, which extends from Franklin street to Sheridan street, shall be changed to Cleveland street; Michigan street, which extends from Morris street to Welden avenue, shall be changed to Hamilton street; Charles street, which is an extension of Becker street, is changed to Becker street.

The recommendations of the committee were acquiesced in by the council, the ordinance passed on its third reading and passed by the council.

* Transcribed by Timothy Bowman – March 25, 2014.

the original article:

Street Names-1901-12-03-Lansing, MI

Advertisements

Lansing’s First Daily Newspaper in 1872

Copied from The State Journal – Lansing, Michigan – March 4, 1921.

Lansing’s First Daily Paper Was Four Pages, Nearly All Politics

State Republican, First Issued in 1872, Handed Jobs to Austin Blair

++ “See that black flag – has Lansing gone in for piracy?”
++ “Well, well – sure enough, but didn’t you read in the State Republican yesterday, how Fire Chief Cobrell had devised a new set of signals for his department. That black flag means that members of the volunteer force are needed between “Middle Town” and North Lansing. At night, in case of need, fire balls will be thrown aloft.”
++ Maybe this conversation did not actually occur on the streets of Lansing in 1872, but it well might have occurred. Indeed, as the second speaker is here made to explain, the chief of the fire department did announce the “black flag” and the “fire balls,” in one of the earliest issues of the new daily edition of the Lansing State Republican, a sort of journalistic grandfather of the present State Journal, Lansing, on July 30, ’72, saw its first daily paper. It was four columns wide and about 14 inches long. It was constituted of four pages, well printed and typographically neat. It was hand set.
++ The publisher was W. S. George & Company. The staff was stated to be S. D. Bingham, political editor; J. W. King, local editor; and D. F. Woodcock, local agent.
— Editor a “Versatile Cuss.”
++ As his contemporary, Artemus Ward, might have described Editor Bingham, so it may now be said, “He was a versatile cuss.” That is to say, Bingham was promiscuously active. He was postmaster and chairman of the Republican State Central committee, in addition to his editorial position. What the civil service commission would do to Editor Bingham in the present day on the score of “pernicious partisan activity” would be a plenty.
++ “Oh, why should the spirit of mortal be proud?” quoted one from what is said to be Lincoln’s favorite poem, looking over the shoulder of the explorer of the old paper, as its leaves turned. Sure enough – the aspirations and the activities of those old-timers, of nearly 50 years ago, do seem highly inconsequential as one sees them now, in an old-fashioned type and on pages that have too far gone for the sustenance of mice. Really, whatever was consequential about those early folks, we of the present, and not they, are reaping.
++ The first, little mouse-eaten file of the Lansing State Republican tells us that the city was then in the heat of the “Greeley campaign.” How earnestly the old-timers did take their politics. Not an issue of the “Republican” misses a whack at the Liberal Republican and Democratic coalition, led by Horace Greeley, against Grant and Wilson.
— Called Blair Poor G.O.P. Man.
++ We of the present generation, as we daily pass and repass the bronze statue of Gov. Blair, think of him as altogether a stalwart Republican; but the old Lansing daily tells us unmistakably that Blair was “off the reservation”, at that time, and how they were abusing him. Well, he was in good company. Here we find Editor Bingham “taking the hide off” Senator Charles Sumner, the distinguished Massachusetts leader. But, the editor had his cue from a strong source. No less a person than James G. Blaine led in the matter of denouncing Sumner as an ally of Jeff Davis. Evidently the old boys overshot their mark in those days. Among our local celebrities. O. M. Barnes was also “off the Republican reservation” and we find him announced to make a Greeley speech at the Allegan street fire engine house.
++ The Republican state convention which nominated John J. Bagley of Detroit was held here, in Representative hall, July 31, the day after the new paper was started. There was a contest between Bagley and Francis B. Stockbridge of Kalamazoo, and Bagley beat the latter 164 to 44. In as much as Stockbridge went later to the senate, it may be that the outcome represents a “deal” instead of a contest. Oh, well – the old boys were just as human if not a little more so than the present ones.
++ It is amusing to read of the activities of that fiery rising young orator Capt. Burrows, (Julius Caesar Burrows).
++ But Lansing was not all politics in those days, even though Editor Bingham seemed to try to give that notion. Improvements were afoot. Of course politics was discussed column length and the industrial matters in “local items,” but one gets the picture of the past, nevertheless.
— New Gas Works.
++ The new gas works was stated to be well under way and promised to be in readiness by Nov. 1. It’s retort house was to be a substantial brick structure and its storage tank of steel was to have a capacity of 24,000 cubic feet. Oh, yes, Lansing was coming along.
++ There appears to be considerable doing in other building activity. The contract has been left to C. W. Butler for this part of the job, and the excavation for the new capitol is progressing. The old Hinman block has just been sold and renamed the “Union” block, and is having a new front put in. Thayer & Cottrell have their building about completed and Bush & Hinman have the walls up for their new building just south of the old American house. C. W. Butler has another project afoot, other than the excavation for the capitol. The paper states that this new block, with three stores, is about ready. Evidently “Middle Town” is getting the edge on North Lansing. But even over there, business is good. D. L. Case has begun his new store and B. E. Hart is making an addition to his flour mill.
++ The new daily edition of the Lansing State Republican apparently did not greatly appeal to the merchants, at the very outset, as a medium for getting business. The first few issues are without any advertising. But soon D. W. Buck, furniture dealer, and L. M. Simon, grocer, led the procession into the columns of the new paper.
— Circus In Town.
++ Heigh, ho! Dan Klee’s circus is In town. Dan is described as the world’s foremost comedian – it is likely Editor Bingham and his local staff were already in possession of tickets calling for reserved seats. But Dan did not get off scott free. He offered $20 as a prize to whatever Lansing youth could ride his trick mule, and after several had failed, James Harris, a youth of 18 – gee! he is 62 now – from North Lansing, did ride that mule. Then, according to the testimony which convicted Rice of assault, he struck Harris with his whip.
++ Circuses were not the only fun they had in those days. Here we find the daily trips of the “Sea Bird” and the “Minnie Cass”, advertised by Capt. A. P. Loomis to make daily excursion trips on the Grand River between North Lansing and the Mineral Springs hotel, with stops at the Michigan avenue bridge.
++ By the way, the Mineral Springs hotel (situated near the confluence of the [Red] Cedar with the Grand river) was no Inconsiderable Institution in those days.
++ The State Republican made a practice of printing the names of the guests at all three hotels in the city. At the Mineral Springs, are listed a number of guests from New York and Chicago and other places of importance. Among the guests is listed, Mrs. Bayard F. Taylor, the wife of the distinguished poet and leading prose writer of those days.
++ Up at the Chapman house, George M. Huntington and wife are recorded as registered from Mason. Also at the Chapman house are “J. L. Lair and lady, of Dewitt.” Also, at the Springs hotel, “Dr. L. C. Rose and lady” are registered.
++ Whew! In these days the city editor would say to the reporter, “Whatcha mean! – ‘and lady?'”

***
Transcribed by Timothy Bowman, March 16, 2014.

the original 1921 article:
Lansing's First Daily Paper in 1872--1921-03-04-MI

Lansing Manufacturers Exhibition at the State Capitol in 1902

Copied from the Lansing Journal – November 13, 1902 – Lansing, Michigan

Every Article Is Made In Lansing
Attractive Exhibit of Lansing Manufacturers Opened to the Public Today
The Whole Is A Great Revelation
List of the Exhibits Which Display to an Admiring Public the Remarkable Extent and Diversity of Lansing’s Industries.

An exhibit different from and surpassing anything ever before attempted in this city, is that of the Lansing manufacturers, which was formally opened to the public this afternoon.
Housed in canvass walls and occupying two blocks in front of the state capitol, the exhibition is a marvel, not only to the visitors in the city but to residents as well.
On account of the limited space available, the displays are necessarily small, yet they give a comprehensive idea of the extent of Lansing industries.
Were the space to be had, each of the firms of E. Bement’s Sons, the Oldsmobile Company and the Lansing Wheelbarrow Works, could easily fill with the display of their products an entire tent the size of either of those on Capitol avenue.
At the head of Michigan avenue, and extending from tent to tent, is a long banner informing all who pass that the articles exhibited are all manufactured in Lansing.
This noon sharings were spread in the passages and final preparations made for the afternoon.
The first display on the left hand side of the southern tent, as the sightseer enters from Michigan avenue, is that of E. Bement’s Sons. A large array of stoves and farm implements are here presented.
Displays of the Beilfuss Motor Company and the Greeleaf Cycle Company are next, the former exhibiting gas engines and the later two automobiles. Next in order are the excellent displays of the Central Implement Company and the Lansing Wheelbarrow Works. The latter show a complete line of wheelbarrows and tricks of various designs.
The Maud S. Windmill and Pump Company occupies the extreme southern end of the line with a large exhibit.
Opposite is the display of the Severance Tank Works, in which a model silo is one of the features. The Capitol Electric Company, W. A. Depue, manufacturer of cigar boxes, and the Michigan Vending Machine Company, are the next three exhibitors.
Northrop, Robertson, Carrier & Co. show a full line of boxed, canned and bottled goods.
The Queen Bee Cigar Company and the Lansing Pure Food Company, with a display of Malt-Ola, are next in order. A display made by the Genesee Fruit Company, manufacturers of cider and vinegar, is next, and is followed by the exhibit of A. Simons, manufacturer of brass and white metal castings.
The attractive display of the Hugh Lyons Company, consisting of mirrors, show cases and wax figures, is one of the best in the tent. Displays by the Harrison Rock Candy Cough Cure, and Dr. E. L. Robertson, manufacturing pharmacist, are the next to be viewed by the visitors.
The Lansing Confectionery Company has an excellent display of candies, next to which is the flour and feed exhibit of F. Thoman & Bro.
The Montgomery Manufacturing Company exhibits a full line of overalls and trousers, while the last display is that of the Lansing Tent & Awning Company, the firm which erected the tent beneath which the exhibition takes place.
In the tent on the northern side of Michigan avenue is first the display of the Kneeland Omega Cream Separator Company, attractive in its designing. Next are exhibits made by the Sullivan Bottling Company, Clipper-Spaulding Company and the Hya-Hya Elixer Remedy Company.
A pretty display is that of the Rikerd Lumber Company, showing to advantage the productions of that concern.
An automobile and carriage display by W. K. Prudden follow, after which is the exhibit of the Auto-Body Company, one of Lansing’s young but prosperous manufacturing companies. The Lansing Brewing Company’s array is followed by an exhibit of the Hildreth Motor & Pump Company and the Lansing Spoke Works, all North Lansing concerns. The Western Tool Company has a neat exhibit, as does also the Michigan Condensed Milk Company. Placards show that during the fiscal year ending July 1, this concern bought 42 3336,303 pounds of milk, paying for that amount $424,815.91.
The Lansing Boiler & Engine Co. has the last display in the tent. Opposite it is the exhibition of James Rock & Bro., dealers in windmills and pumps. A large display of the mechanical department of the M.A.C. is next, after which are exhibitions made by the Oviatt Wagon Co., and the Clark Carriage Company. The Lansing Wagon Works has a large display of heavy vehicles that is very complete. The exhibition of gasoline engines and automobiles made by the Olds companies is one of the best in the tent. The decorations are artistic, which the other attractions are unique.

Transcribed by Timothy Bowman,
March 9, 2014.

the original article:
Manufacturers Exhibits at Capitol-1902-11-13-Lansing, MI

1891 Lansing Wheelbarrow Company advertisement:
Lansing Wheelbarrow Co.-1891 ad-MI

Mt. Hope Church dedication – 1917 article

The State Journal – Lansing, Michigan – January 10, 1917

Dedicatory Services For New Mt. Hope Church Begin Sunday

(photo caption: Mt. Hope M. E. Church and Rev. William B. Benn, pastor, whose work made possible new edifice.

Dedicatory services for the opening of Lansing’s newest church will be held by members of the Mt. Hope Methodist Congregation in their new $18,000 edifice, at Mt. Hope ave. and South Cedar st., Sunday.
The ensuing week, up to and including Jan. 21, will be given over to appropriate services. A supper and musical program will be given on the evening of entertainment by Bethany girls on Friday; and a second Sunday of special services on the 21st.
Three years ago, a piece of land, little better than a tract of swamp, situated at the corner of Mt. Hope ave. and South Cedar st., was purchased by trustees of Central Methodist church; a small frame building was erected and a mission Sunday school opened. This was done through a legacy of $1,400, given by Elizabeth Cole Reasoner for the purpose of starting a Methodist mission in a needy and hitherto churchless community. The attractive new church and parsonage, to be opened Sunday morning, is the fruition of that need.
During the first year, a Sunday school was conducted under the leadership of John F. Bell, who is still superintendent of the present school. Services were conducted in the afternoons by the Rev. J. T. LeGear, then pastor of the Central church. Two years and a half ago, William B. Benn was appointed assistant of Central Methodist church and given full charge at Mt. Hope ave. Six months later a church organization was formed and incorporated as the Mt. Hope Ave. M. E. church. From this time on, the growth was rapid and it soon became apparent that a much larger building would be needed.
Just a year ago, a Lansing man and his wife, impressed with the need of such a building in that community, gave as a memorial gift to a deceased daughter the sum of $5,000 towards the building fund of the organization. With this as an inspiration, the members and friends contributed liberally, and the contract for the new church was set. The corner stone was laid by Bishop Henderson in June.
The cost of the church itself is $17,000 exclusive of the pipe organ provided by the Bethany girls, but included in the enterprise was the remodeling of the church into a modern bungalow where the pastor and his wife now reside. The total cost amounts to $18,000 has already been paid or pledged.
During the year all the societies of an efficient church have been organized, including an active boys’ work shop.
The exterior architecture of the church is old English style. The interior which includes an auditorium, parlor, study, dining room, kitchen, and Sunday school rooms is finished in oak. The pews and general furniture are of solid oak in the Gothic. The seating capacity of the auditorium, exclusive of the parlors which can be thrown open, is 425. The building is heated with steam, and lighted electricity, the semi-indirect system being used.
The dedication will be conducted next Sunday at 10:30 a. m. and 1 p. m. The Rev. William H. Phelps, D.D., superintendent of the Lansing district, will preside and the addresses will be given by the Charles B. Allen, D.D., of Detroit. A full orchestra, pipe organ, and choir will contribute toward the musical success of the services, with James Pearce as soloist.

* Transcribed by Timothy Bowman,
March 8, 2014.

Here is the article this is from.
Mt. Hope Church dedication-1917-01-10-Lansing, MI-cropped