Lansing Street Names – MI

This is a transcription of the Street Names Index Cards in the Local History Room’s card catalog drawers in the Capital Area District Library’s main downtown branch in Lansing, Michigan.
These index cards were probably put together in the early 1980’s by whom I don’t know. The dates refer to a series of eight articles that appeared in The State Journal newspapers from 1933 to 1969 and a few other sources. This is far from a complete list.
Transcribed by Timothy Bowman in February 2014.

Albert Street [Avenue-?]
Named by Judge Albert E. Cowles when he platted the land. (Foster, 3/24/40)

Alger Street
Named for Hal Alger, at the time v.p. & general manager of the Durant Motor Co. (Foster, n. d.)
Named for Russell A. Alger, former governor. (Wagoner, 12/22/69)

Alice Street
Named for Alice Humphrey, wife of Hollis Robertson, one of the proprietors of the plat. (Foster, n. d.)

Allegan Street
Named for the county which was named for the Indian tribe. (Foster, 3/6/38)

Allen Street
Named for Abram Allen. (Foster, 1/21/40)

Alpha Street
Adjacent to the Alpha Floral Company. (Foster, n. d.)
Mr. Angel Prigorris suggested the name rather than his own. (Foster, 3/16/47)

Alsdorf Street
Named for Cyrus Aldorf, an early resident. (Foster, 1/21/40)

Ash Street
Generally accepted that it was named for the tree. However, in early days James Turner built an ashery in the vicinity. (Foster, 3/6/38)

Atlas Street
(Obsolete) – Adjacent to the Atlas Forge Co. – now Rundle Ave., as is a continuation of that street. (Foster, n. d.)

Avis Street
Named for Avis Brown Treadwell, daughter of Hiram Brown & sister of Elvin Brown. (Foster, 1/19/58)

Avon Street
Either for N. Y. or Shakespeare’s Avon. (Foster, 3/16/47)

Ayers Street
Named by Robert S. Holmes, for his wife, Katherine Ayers Holmes. (Foster, 3/24/40)

Bailey Street
Named for J. W. Bailey. (Foster, 3/24/40)

Baker Street
Named for L. E. Baker, who was owner of adjacent land. (Foster, 12/10/39)

Ballard Street
Named in 1863 for Appletown (sic) Ballard. (Foster, 12/10/39)

Bancroft Court
Named for Wm. F. Bancroft. (Foster, n. d.)

Banghart Street
The Banghart family at one time owned 117 acres located where the street now is. (Foster, 1/19/58)

Bank Street
Named because there was a slight rise in the street. (Foster, n. d.)

Barnard Street
Named for the Barnard family, Wm. A. Barnard & father, Stephen, owned a sewing machine agency. Later Wm. was with state land office. (Foster, 1/21/40)

Bartlett Street
Named for S. M. Bartlett, supt. of construction of M.A.C.’s first bldg. (Foster, 1/19/58)

Beal Avenue
Named for E. S. Beal, one of J. H. Moores’ associates & owner of part of the land. (Foster, 3/16/47)

Beaver Street
Reasonable to suppose named for the beaver meadow there. (Foster, 3/6/38)

Bingham Street
For Kingsley or Stephen? Logical to suppose Stephen. (Foster, 12/10/39)
For Kingsley. (Edmonds, 10/19/33)
For Kingsley. (Wagoner, 12/22/69)

Birch Street
A selected name. (Foster, 1/21/40)

Bismark Street
A selected name for street now known as Custer. (Foster, 1/21/40)

Black Court
Named by Wyllis O. Dodge, for his uncle, Judge C. P. Black, who previously had owned the land. (Foster, 3/16/47)

Blair Street
Named for former governor Austin Blair. (Wagoner, 12/22/69)

Bon Air Road
A selected name meaning good air. (Foster 3/16/47)

Bridge Street
Proximity of new overhead bridge. (Foster, 3/16/47)

Britten Street
Named for William Britten, one of the co-owners & developers of Park Heights subdivision. (Foster, 3/16/47)

Brook Street
Named because of proximity to creek through Englewood subdivision – the old Wienman Creek. (Foster, 1/21/40)

Bullard Street
(Obsolete) – Named for General Robert Lee Bullard of World War fame – Changed to Corbett Street. (Foster, 3/16/47)

Butler Street (later, Boulevard)
Named for Orange Butler. (Foster, 12/10/39)
Named for Charles W. Butler, one of the owners. (Edmonds, 10/19/33)

Cadwell Street
Named by Henry Cadwell who platted the land. (Foster, 1/21/40)

Cady Court
Named for Wilford E. Cady, from whom platter Jesse E. Narmore bought the land. (Foster, 3/24/40)

Call Street
Named for Donald Call, a Lansing newspaperman. (Foster, 1/19/58)

Camp Street
Named for O. F. Camp who owned the land that was platted. (Foster, 3/24/40)

Capitol Avenue
A descriptive name – the new capitol was to face it. (Foster, 3/6/38)

Cary Street
Melanchon Cary was owner of the land when platted. (Foster, 12/10/39)

Case Street
Daniel L. Case platted the land. (Foster, 12/10/39)

Center Street
In midst of the activities in beginnings of North Lansing. (Foster, 3/6/38)

Charlotte Street
(Obsolete) – Probably named for the city of Charlotte. (Foster, 12/10/39)

Chelsea Avenue
Named by C. H. Kempf, a banker of Chelsea, Mich., who platted the land & named it for his home town. (Foster, 3/24/40)

Chicago Avenue
Selected name. (Foster, 3/24/40)

Clark Street
Named by Charles A. Clark – a builder & real estate operator. (Foster, 1/21/40)

Claypool Street
(Obsolete) – Named for Albert Claypool, who recorded the plat. (Foster, 12/10/39)

Cleveland Street
Named for President Grover Cleveland. (Foster, 3/24/40)

Cliff Street
An extension of present Kilbourne. (Foster, 12/10/39)

Clifford Street
Named for Mark Clifford – Originally called Dyer Street. (Foster, 3/16/47)

Clinton Street
A reasonable deduction that it was named for Clinton Co., which was named for DeWitt Clinton. (Foster, 3/6/38)

Columbia Street
A selected name. (Foster, 3/24/40)

Condit Street
A selected name to indicate a conduit or passageway. (Foster, 1/21/40)
1940 explanation incorrect – Named for Mr. Condit, who was prominent in affairs of L. S. & M. S. railway. (Foster, 3/16/47).

Cooper Avenue
Named for R. W. Cooper – owned & developed considerable land in the south part of city. (Foster 3/16/47) (Naitema, n. d.) [Haitema – ?]

Cowles Street
Named by Judge Albert E. Cowles, who owned & platted the land. (Foster, 1/21/40)

Cross Street
Selected name. (Foster, 3/24/40)

Cypress Street
A selected name. (Foster, 3/24/40

Dakin Street
Named for John Dakin who owned the land. (Foster, n. d.)

Dayton Street
(Obsolete) – Named by George M. Dayton. (Foster, 3/24/40)

Depot Street
Locative. (Foster, 1/21/40)

Dinsmore Drive
Took its name from John Dinsmore who surveyed the subdivision. (Foster, n. d.)

Division Street
Named because it was dividing line between Townsend’s Addition & the City of Lansing. (Foster, 12/10/39)

Dorrance Place
In 1888, Albert G. Dorrance owned the land. (Foster, 1/21/40)

Downer Street
Named for Esther D. Downer, wife of Wm. Vetter, platter. (Foster, n. d.)

Drury Lane
Named by E. E. Porter for his son Drury L. Porter in his Handy Subdivision. (Foster, 3/24/40)

Dunlap Street
Named for Joseph Dunlap, owner of the land that was subdivided and a mail carrier. (Foster, n. d.)

Durant Street
Named for Wm. C. Durant. (Foster, 3/16/47)

Dwight Street
Named for Dwight Smith, one of the platters of the sub. (Foster, 12/10/39)

Earl Street
(Obsolete) – now renamed Birch St. (Foster, 12/10/39)

East Street
Locative – east city limits at the time it was named. (Foster, 1/21/40)

Eastlawn Drive
A selected name. (Foster, 3/16/47)

Elizabeth Street
(Obsolete) – Probably for Elizabeth St. in Rochester, N. Y. (Foster, 3/6/38)

Elliot Street
Ran from Center St. to the Grand river through land later occupied by the Lansing Co. – platted by Richard Elliot. (Foster, 1/21/40)

Elvin Court
Named by Hiram Brown for his son. (Foster, n. d.)

Erie Street
A selected name. (Foster, 1/21/40)

Euclid Street
Now Euclid Place – probably selected & named for one of prominent streets of Cleveland. (Foster, 12/10/39)

Eureka Street
Selected. (Foster, 12/10/39)

Evans Street
Now called North St. (Foster, 1/21/40)

Factory Street
So called for the anticipated manufacturing & milling develop. [development] (Foster, 3/6/38)

Fair Street
(Obsolete) – Main thoroughfare to the old state fairgrounds – south end of Butler St. (Foster, 12/10/39)

Fernwood Street
A selected name. (Foster, 3/16/47)

Ferris Street
Named for the Rev. J. C. Ferris who owned land facing the street. (Foster, 12/10/39)

Fish Street
(Obsolete) – Probably for Fish St. in Rochester, N. Y. (Foster, 3/6/38)

Foster Court
(Obsolete) – Named by the subdivide [?] Foster M. Chaffee, but renamed Kingsley Court because conflicted with Foster Ave. (Foster, 3/16/47)

Franklin Street (Avenue)
In honor of Benjamin Franklin. (Obsolete) (Edmonds, 10/19/33) (Foster, 3/6/38)

Frazel Street
(Obsolete) – Jake Frazel was a neighbor of the platter, J. S. Harris. (Foster, 12/10/39)

Fremont Street
Named for Gen. [General] John Fremont, the soldier & explorer. (Foster, 3/16/47)

Fulton Place
Named for Gladys Fulton, the wife of Dr. Samuel Osborn. (Foster, n. d.)

Genesee Street
Named for the county – which was named for the county in N. Y. – derived from Sebeca [Seneca] Indian language meaning beautiful valley. (Foster, 3/6/38)

George Street
Named by James Hammell, one of the owners, for his son, George. (Foster, 3/16/47)

Gier Street
Named for Burton S. Gier. (Foster, n.d.)

Glen Street
Present st. named by J. W. Bailey when platted the land – an earlier one named for Jacob Glen. (Foster, 12/10/39)

Gold Street
No explanation. (Obsolete) (Foster, 12/10/39)

Gordon Street
Named for Gordon Cooper, a flyer killed in W.W.I. (Haitema, n. d.) [Naitema -?]

Grace Street
In Grace Renker’s Michigan Heights subdivision was named by and for herself. (Foster, 3/16/47)

Grand Avenue
Can be considered as a borrowed name from the river. (Foster, 3/6/38)

Groesbeck Avenue
Named for former governor, Alexander J. Groesbeck. (Wagoner, 12/22/69)

Grove Street
Descriptive name for land adjacent. (Foster, 1/21/40)

Haag Court
Named by W. L. Haag, who, with his wife, dedicated the street to the public in 1912. (Foster, 3/16/47)

Hamilton Street
Named for James A. Hamilton, city council member & contractor. (LJ, 12/3/1901)

Hammond Street
Named for J. M. Hammond in land platted by Henry Cadwell & purchased for Mr. Hammond. (Foster, 1/21/40)

Harley Street
Was a one block street from Mich. Ave. through land platted by Harley Ingersoll. (Foster, 1/21/40)

Haze Street
(Obsolete) – for Dr. Haze who came to Ingham in 1838. (Foster, 12/10/39)

Hazeltine Place
(Obsolete) – No explanation. (Foster, 3/24/40)

Heald Place
No satisfactory reason has been found. (Foster, 3/24/40)
Named for C. M. Heald, pres. of Pere Marquette r. r. [railroad] along which the street is parallel. (Foster, 3/16/47)

Henry Street
Named by Henry Cadwell for himself. (Foster, 1/21/40)

Herbert Court
(Obsolete) Now called Gilbert Ct. [Court]. Named by Herbert Rogers who platted. (Foster, 3/24/40)

Herbert Street
In Hall’s southside addition, was named by B. F. Hall for his son, Herbert A. Hall. (Foster, 3/16/47)

Hickory Street
Selected. (Foster, 12/10/39)

High Street
Because the street passed over a high bridge located N. E. of city on what is now called Gunnisonville Road. (Foster, 12/10/39)

Hill Street
Descriptive – Original hill was very steep – has been much cut down. (Foster, 12/10/39)

Holmes Street
Named for Dr. James Holmes, prominent in business & fraternal circles. (Foster. 12/10/39)

Hillsdale Street
Named for the county – descriptive of its hills & dales. (Foster, 3/6/38)

Home Street
A selected name. (Foster. 2/24/40)

Horatio Court
Named by Horatio H. Larned, one of Lansing’s pioneer business men. (Foster, 3/16/47)

Horner Street
(Obsolete) – no explanation has been found. (Foster, 12/10/39)

Horton Street
In Horton Longyear’s subdivision. (Foster, 3/24/40)

Hosmer Street
Named for Rufus Hosmer. (Foster, 12/10/39) and (Edmonds, 10/19/33)

Howard Street
Named for Howard Krause, one of stockholders in co. which platted the subdivision, Urbandale. (Foster, 3/24/40)

Howe Street
Named for Mrs. W. S. Holmes, who was Miss Adelia Howe. (Foster, 3/24/40)

Hungerford Street
Named for Mrs. Morgan B. Hungerford, owner of the land. (Foster, n. d.)

Huron Street
A selected name. (Foster, 3/24/40)

Illinois Street
A selected name. (Foster, 3/24/40)

Indiana Street
A selected name. (Foster. 3/24/40)

Ionia Street
Named for the county, named for the ancient Greek settlement. (Foster, 3/6/38)

Isaac Street
(Obsolete) – In honor of Isaac Townsend, an extensive owner of land in vicinity of the new town. Named changed to Olds – 4/29/29. (Foster, 3/6/38)

Isbell Street
Named for S. M. Isbell of Jackson, Mich. – who eventually est. [established] a bean elevator here. (Foster, 3/24/40)

Jason Court
Named for Herman Jason, who operated sawmills in Perry & Williamston. (Foster, n. d.)

Jay Street
No definite explanation. (Foster, 3/24/40)

Jerome Street
Named for George Jerome. (Foster, 12/10/39)
Named for former Governor David H. Jerome. (12/22/69)

Jessop Avenue
(Obsolete) Named by the sub-divider of Jessops Home Gardens in honor of the family who owned the land – Now called Cavanaugh Road. (Foster, 3/16/47)

Jones Street
Named for Col. Whitney Jones. (Foster, 12/10/39) and (Edmonds, 10/19/39)

Kalamazoo Street
Named for the county, named for the river, the Indian name meaning bright or boiling water. (Foster, 3/6/38)

Kerr Street
(Obsolete) – Named for John Kerr – Now renamed Eighth St. (Foster, 12/10/39) (Edmonds, 10/19/39) (Foster, 1/19/58)

Kingsley Court
Phineas Kingsley was owner of the land facing Logan Street through which entrance to the court was made. (Originally named Foster Court) (Foster, 3/16/47)

Kirby Drive
Named for W. B. Kirby, who was secretary of the city water & electric light commissioners when they created the street to establish a pumping station. (Foster, n. d.)

Kudner Street
(Obsolete) – Now Maple St. – Platted & named by & for Charles Kudner who owned the land. (Foster, 3/24/40)

Lahoma Street
Suggested that it was a manufactured name to mean “the home” street. (Foster, 12/10/39)

Lapeer Street
Named for the county, named for the river – from French term La Pierre. (Foster, 3/6/38)

Lathrop Street
Named for George E. Lathrop whose wife Rosita Shepard owned the land. (Foster, 1/21/40)

Lenawee Street
Named for the county – derived from Delaware term meaning “man” or Shawnee form “lenawi” meaning Indian. (Foster, 3/6/38)

Lesher Place
Named for C. P. Lesher. (Foster, 3/24/40)

Lewis Street
(Obsolete) Named for Lewis D. Preston, surveyor of the plat.

Liberty Street
Probably for street in Rochester, N. Y. (Foster, 3/6/38)

Lincoln Court
(Obsolete) Changed to John Street. (Foster, 3/16/47)

Lincoln Street
(Obsolete) – for Pres. [President] Lincoln. (Foster, 12/10/39)

Linden Street
A selected name – now known as Mt. Hope. (Foster, 1/21/40)

Logan Street
Probably for Gen. [General] Logan of Civil War fame. (Foster, 12/10/39)

Lyons Avenue
Named for Hugh Lyons? – in 1908 was Potter Hill St. – 1910 was Lyons Ave. – Hugh Lyons died Feb. 1909. [this card was typed with no notation]

McKim Street [Avenue]
Derived its name from the owner of the land, Robert McKim. (Foster, n. d.)

McKinley Street
Formerly Smith Street – renamed for ex-Pres. [President] Wm. McKinley. (Foster, 3/24/40)

McPherson Street
Named for Hugh A. McPherson, president of Standard Real Estate Co. who developed. (Foster, 3/16/47)

McVeigh Street
No record. (Foster, 12/10/39)
(Obsolete) On 12/10/39 the street was named for the surveyor who was the engineer at the time the plat was dedicated. (Foster, 3/16/47)

Main Street
So named as it was thought this would become the main business street of the town. (Edmonds, 10/19/33) (Foster, 3/6/38)

Marion Street
Named for Marion Cooper Fitch. (Haitema, n. d.) [Naitema-?]

Marshall Street
Named by & for Marshall E. Rumsey who placed the subdivision on the market. (Foster, 3/24/40)

Mason Street
Named for the city of Mason by the subdivider. T. G. Foster. (Foster, 3/16/47)

Max Avenue
Named for former Max Templeton, who, at the time the plat was offered was an employee of the Young Bros. [Brothers] Realty Co. the subdividers. (Foster, 3/16/47)

Maxon Court
Developed by Ira Maxon, a local builder of homes. (Foster, n. d.)

May Street
No explanation. (Foster, 12/10/39)

Mechanic Street
A selected name. (Foster, 12/10/39)

Michigan Avenue
In honor of the state. (Foster, 3/6/38)

Michigan Court
(Obsolete) Now part of Barnes Ave. – A selected name. (Foster, 3/24/40)

Middle Street
Descriptive – laid out on the middle line Section 20. (Foster, 12/10/39)

Mill Street
(Obsolete – became Museum Drive in 1981). A logical site for a mill – also a street in Rochester, N. Y. (Foster, 3/6/38)

Miller Street
(Obsolete) – No explanation. (Foster, 12/10/39)

Morris Street
(Obsolete) Named for S. S. Morris, who owned & operated the National Steam Sausage Factory. (Foster, 1/21/40)

Mullikin Street
(Obsolete) – Named for George F. Mulliken at that time local agent for Mich. Central R. R. [railroad] (Foster, 1/21/40)

Museum Drive
Changed from Mill St. because the street has R. E. Olds Museum & Impression 5 Museum – Officially approved Dec. 1981. (State Journal – Onlooker Column 3/19/1982)

North Street
Descriptive name for the most northerly street of the new town. (Foster, 3/6/38)

Oak Avenue
A selected name. (Foster, 3/24/40)

Oak Street
Renamed River Street of which it was the continuation of the Grand River. (Foster, 3/6/38)

Oakland Avenue
A selected name. (Foster, 3/24/40)

Orchard Street
In Fairview Addition adjacent to an old apple orchard. (Foster, 3/24/40)

Osborn Road
Named for Chase S. Osborn, former governor. (Wagoner, 12/22/69)
See 1921 City Directory. Darling states that the Gov. [Governor] built a mansion at 1715 Osborn. No such address in 1921 as 1713 Dr. Samuel Osborn lived in 1921.

Ottawa Street
Named for the county, which was named for the Indian tribe “People of the Forest” (Foster, 3/6/38)

Owen Street
In honor of Charles & Edward Owen. (Foster, 3/16/47)

Park Avenue
Originally named Weldon Ave., changed to Park Ave. by Frank Hammond, in honor of his uncle, Park Hammond, a resident of Ill. [Illinois] (Foster, 3/16/47)

Park Place
A selected name. (Foster, 1/21/40)

Park Street
The original located in N. L. [North Lansing-?] & name came from Rochester, N. Y. – Present located south of Moores River Dr. – purely selected name. (Foster, 3/6/38)

Pattengill Avenue
Named for the Pattengill family by W. K. Prudden, Colonel Rogers, et al. (Foster, 3/16/47)

Pearl Street
Not determined if an original selected name or derived from Biddle City plat or from the pearl ashery. (see Ash St.) (Foster, 3/6/38)

Perry Street
(Obsolete) – Renamed Greenlawn, of which it was an extension. – Named for Milton Perry who was a contractor & real estate dealer. (Foster, n. d.)

Pete’s Lane
Claude Culver placed the subdivision on the market & gave the street the nickname of his son, Donald Culver. (Foster, 3/16/47)

Pingree Street
Named for Hazen S. Pingree (Obsolete) – Changed to Mason St. (Foster, 1/19/58)
Named for former governor Hazen Pingree. (Wagoner, 12/22/69)

Platt Street
From Zephaniah Platt (Michigan Attorney General 1841-43) or borrowed from Rochester, N. Y. (Foster, 3/6/38)

Porter Street
Named for E. S. Porter (builder & owner of Porter Apts.) (Foster, 3/24/40)

Poxon Avenue [Poxson]
Named for Elijah Poxon [Poxson], one of stockholders of South Lansing Land Co. who platted Elmhurst – At one time sales manager of Reo & a member of park board. (Foster, 3/16/47)
Cousin of Herbert Cooper, developer. (Naitema, n. d.) [Haitema-?]

Preston Street
(Obsolete) named for Lewis D. Preston, an early surveyor. (Foster, 12/10/39)

Princeton Avenue
A selected name. (Foster, 3/24/40)

Prospect Street
Apparently named for sales appeal. (Foster, 12/10/39)

Pennsylvania Avenue
Probably for Penn. Ave. in Washington D. C. over which Union soldiers passed in review at close of Civil War. (Foster, 12/10/39)

Race Street
Descriptive name for the mill race adjacent. (1/21/40)

Railroad Street
On land now occupied by railroads. (Foster, 12/10/39)

River Street
Appropriate for the angling street that paralleled the Grand River. (Foster, 3/6/38)

Riverview Street
Derived its name from its subdivision. (Foster, 3/16/47)

Robert Street
(Obsolete) – No explanation. (Foster, 3/6/38)

Robertson Avenue
Owner of the subdivision, gave the street his family name. (Foster, 3/16/47)

Rogers Street
Was at the west side of the School for the Blind land which had been the Misses Rogers Female Seminary. (Foster, 1/21/40)

Roosevelt Avenue
Named for Pres. [President] Theodore Roosevelt. (Foster, 3/24/40)

Rouser Street
Named for Chris J. Rouser. (Foster, 1/19/58)

Rumsey Avenue
Named by Marshall Rumsey who owned & platted the land. (Foster, 3/24/40)

Rundle Street
Named for Alfred Rundle, first manager of the South Lansing Real Estate Co. (Foster, 3/16/47)
Cousin of Herbert Cooper, developer. (Haitema, n. d.) [Naitema – ?]

Saginaw Street
Named for the county, bay, river or city – derived from Chippewa “Place of the Sac’s”. (Foster, 3/6/38)

St. Joseph Street
Named for county – named for river – named for the patron saint of New France. (Foster, 3/6/38)

Samantha Avenue
Named by Wm. H. Newbrough, owner of the land for his mother, Samantha Monroe Newbrough. (Foster, 3/16/47)

Schoolcraft Drive
Named after the county. (State Journal, 6/13/1968)

Seager Street
In honor of Schuyler F. Seager. (Foster, 12/10/39)
Named for the Seager family, at one time active in the affairs of the Olds Motor Works. (Foster, 1/19/58)

Seymour Street
Named for James Seymour, one of the original land owners – never an actual resident. (Edmonds, 10/19/33)

Shiawassee Street
From the county – “The River that Twists”. (Foster, 3/6/38)

Short Street
Descriptive. (Foster, 12/10/39)

Shubel Avenue
Named by Col. [Colonel] Fred Shubel, the owner of the land. (Foster, 1/19/58)

Smith Street
As originally named was in Ballards Addition in the north part of city – Now known as McKinley St. – Present Smith St. named by J. H. Moored in his Park Place addition. (Foster, 1/21/40)

South Street
Descriptive – most southerly of the new town’s streets. (Foster, 3/6/38)

Spikes Lane
Originally named Spike’s Alley by Roy (Spike) Ten Eyck who was given the land by Mr. Cook. (Foster, 3/16/47)

Strathmore Road
A selected name. (Foster, 3/16/47)

Sunnyside Avenue
A selected name. (Foster, 3/16/47)

Sunset Avenue
A purely selected name. (Foster, 3/16/47)

Sycamore Drive
Named for the creek by Col. [Colonel] Schubel. (Foster, 3/16/47)

Teel Avenue*
Named for and by Harry Teel who owned the parcel and lived on land adjacent to the street. (Foster, 3/16/47)

Theodore Street
Named for Theodore G. Foster who, as a salesman of the J. W. Bailey Co., sold most of the lots facing the street before it was dedicated to the public. (Foster, 3/16/47)

Thomas Street*
Named by owner of the land, Harris E. Thomas, one of Lansing’s leading attorneys. (Foster, 3/16/47)

Townsend Street
Named for Wm. H. Townsend, one of the original land owners & a very early settler in Lansing Township. (Edmonds, 10/19/33) (Foster, 3/6/38)

Turner Street
Named for the first James Turner. (Edmonds, 10/19/33) (Foster, 3/6/38)

Turtle Street
(Obsolete) Early vacated & later occupied by the Auto Body Co. – James Seymour probably selected because in his home town, Rochester, N. Y. (Foster, 3/16/47)

Tuxedo Avenue
Selected name. (Foster, 3/16/47)

Verlinden Street [Avenue]
Named by Edward Verlinden, at time of dedication was president & general manager of Durant Motor Co. in Lansing. (Foster, 3/16/47)

Vine Street
No explanation. (Foster, 12/10/39)

Walsh Street
Named for John H. Walsh, one of the owners of the Excelsion Land Co. (Foster, 1/19/58)

Wall Street
(Obsolete) Now named Maple, of which it is a continuation on the east side of river. – Probably named for Wall St. in N.Y.C. (Foster, 3/6/38)

Warner Street
Named for Joseph E. Warner who owned 80 acres facing it. (Foster, 12/10/39)

Washington Avenue
In honor of the first president. (Edmonds, 10/19/33) (Foster, 1/19/58)

Washtenaw Street
Named for the county – from Chippewa “Was-te-nong” meaning the “far country” or the “country beyond”. (Foster, 3/6/38)

Water Street
Location similar in Rochester, N. Y. (Foster, 1/19/58)

Weldon Street
(Obsolete) Platted & named by Lafayette Weldon for himself. Has been renamed Park Ave. (Foster, 3/24/40)

West Street
(Obsolete) – It was the west st. of the city – now part of Logan. (Foster, 12/10/39)

Whyte Street
No satisfactory explanation has been found. (Foster, 3/24/40)

William Street
Named for Wm. H. Townsend. (Foster, 1/19/58)

Wilson Avenue
In honor of former president Woodrow Wilson. (Foster, 3/16/47)

Wisconsin Avenue
A selected name. (Foster, 3/24/40)

Woodbury Avenue
Named for C. D. Woodbury. (Foster, 1/19/58)

Woodlawn Avenue
Named for Frank Johnson who, with his wife dedicated the street to the public. (Foster, 3/24/40)
Named by Charles T. Johnson & his wife Frae. (Foster, 3/16/47)

Wyllis Street
Named by Wyllis O. Dodge for himself when he platted the land. (Foster, 3/16/47)

Total – 262 Street Names.

Here’s an example of one of the articles.
Street Names-1938-03-06-Lansing, MI

And here’s a link to scans of the eight articles mentioned above.

Street Names-1938-03-06-Lansing, MI
Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s