Extended Index to Lansing CCC book

Extended Index to the 1986 history book – Lansing: Capital, Campus, And Cars
by Sallie M. Manasseh, David A. Thomas, James F. Wallington
photography by W. Spencer Parshall
foreward by Governor James Blanchard

After scanning and trying to have this OCR’d unsuccessfully, decided to just type up.
Corrected some out of alphabetical order.
Also added information from photo captions not included in original index.
Compiled by Timothy Bowman – Finished September 5, 2016.

A
Abbot, Theophilus C.: 132
Abbot Hall: 62
Abbott Building: 179
Abels, W.S.:34
Abrams Aerial Survey Corporation: 64, 67
Abrams Instruments: 163
Abrams Planetarium: 137-138
Abrams, Talbert (Ted): 49, 138
Abrams, Leota: 138
AC Delco Division: 187
Accident Fund of Michigan: 79
Ackley, Linda: 167
Acme Business College (in photo): 79
ACTS (Area Congregations Together in Service): 118
Adams, Mrs. Frank L.: 219 [Franc]
Adams, Walter: 138
Adler, Bob: 106
Advance Realty Co.: 170
Affeldt, John: 58, 70
African Methodist Episcopal Church: 119
Agase, Alex (Northwestern): 136
Agricultural College of Michigan: 129, 203
Agricultural Hall: 36, 37
Agricultural Building: 131
Akers, Forest: 103
Albers, Bishop Joseph H.: 177
Albion College: 24, 129, 134
Aldinger, Frederick C.:219
Alexander Furnace and Manufacturing Company: 22, 23
Alex’s: 105
All-Star Printing: 164
Allen, Allie: 25
Allen-Sparks Gas Light Co.: 38
Al’s Coffee Shop: 104
Alton (Fred) & Son: 13
Alumni Memorial Union Building: 103
Amboy, Lansing &Traverse Bay Railroad: 15
American Association of Bible Colleges: 143
American Bank and Trust Company: 73, 185
American Bar Association: 143
American College of Probate Counsel: 184
American Cut Glass Company: 22
American Lung Association Building: 112
American Motors: 47
American Oil Company: 101
American Red Cross: 201
American Savings Bank: 73
American State Bank of Detroit: 51
American State Savings Bank: 51, 53, 66, 73
American’s Cup Restaurant: 106, 181
Anchor Motor Freight: 198
Anderson, A.C.: 179
Anderson, Bruce E.: 83
Anderson, Gladys Olds: 101
Andros, Alex: 104
Anglican: 119
Antankos: 104
Antiques (store front): 158
Anthony, Ernest L.: 65
Apostolic: 119
Arbaugh, F. N.: 83, 126
Arbaugh (F.N.) Company: 41, 50, 83
Arts and Sciences Building (LCC): 140
Arts Council of Greater Lansing: 95-96, 218
Ashley, Elva: 25
Assembly of God: 119
Atchison, William: 100
Atlas Drop Forge Company: 34, 36, 45, 56, 63, 64, 66, 68. 100
Atrium Office Building: 146
Aurelius Township: 7
Auto Body Company: 32, 33, 41, 42
Auto Wheel Company: 40, 42, 59
Auto Owners Insurance Company: vii, 65, 77, 148, 149, 168-169
Aux Delices: 106
Aviation Course at LCC: 141
Ayers, L.B.: 42

B
“Baby Reo”: 32
Backe Communications: 85, 217
Baha’i Spiritual Assemblies: 119
Baibak, Richard: 188
Bailey (J.C.) & Co.: 72
Bailey, Joseph C.: 72
Bailey, Liberty Hyde: 132
Baird, James J.: 91
Baird, Willard: 8, 12
Baird’s Opera House: 91
Baker, Arthur Davis: 11, 24, 77, 201
Baker, Bert J.: 179
Baker, Gen. Lafayette: 11
Baker, Lt. Luther B.: 11
Baker, Luther B.: 50
Baker, Luther H.: 11
Baker, Stannard L.: 11
Baker’s Shoes (in photo): 85
Bald, F. Clever: 219
Ball-Dunning Furnishing: viii
Ballard, Byron: 184
Ballerinas (young) at Turner-Dodge House: 94
Banc One Corporation: 179 [Bank One]
Bancroft, H. Lee: 99, 100
Bandurski, Robert: 133
Bank of Lansing: 45, 69, 74
Bank of Lansing Art Fair: 223
Baptists: 110, 111, 113, 116
Barathy, Karl: 70
Barker Fowler Electric: 82
“Barn, The”: 92
Barnes building (in photo): 72
Barnes Floral: 78, 211
Barnes, Orlando Mack: 17, 72
Barnes, Mrs. Orlando Mack: 120
Barns, Henry: 84
Barnum and Bailey Circus: 32
Barrette & Scully: 34
Barros Research Institute: 163
Bartlett, Henry B.: 139
Bartlett’s Business College: 139
Bartow, Nolan: 70
Basement Five: 107
Bates and Edmonds Engine Co.: 24, 37, 97
Bates, Donald: 60
Bates, Madison: 34, 36
Battle Creek Sanitarium: 23
Bauch Building: 168
Baudette (Theater): 91 [should be Vaudette Theatre]
Beach Manufacturing: 20
Beal Gardens: 139, 162
Beal, William James: 132, 133, 219
Bear Lake Subdivision (Okemos): 182
Beardsley, Paul R.: 210
Beattie, Stanley E.: 143
Beaumont, John: 134
Beaumont Tower: 134, 145
Beck, Herbert J.: 139
Beck, Lewis: 36
Beck’s Clothing Store: 25
Beecher, Edward: 25
Beekman Center: 197
Beekman, Marvin E.: 128, 129
Beggar’s Banquet: 106
Behrendt, D.: 117
Beilfuss, Motor Co.: 35
Belen’s (flower store): 78
Bement Baseball Team: 23
Bement, Arthur O.: 19, 22
Bement Baseball Team: 23
Bement, C.E.: 39, 42, 126
Bement, Edwin: 19
Bement Parade Float: 23
Bement & Sons: 22
Bement Plant: 19, 38, 39
Bement Workers (group photo): 19
Benedict, Frank: 140
Benner, Lee: 53
Bennett, Lois: 224
Bennington Hills subdivision near Perry (MI): 181
Benton House: 12, 14, 139
Berg, Peter Iverson: 219
Berger, Gustave: 20
Bethlehem Lutheran: 115
Beurmann-Marshall Corporation: 164
Bible Churches: 119
Bicentennial History of Ingham County: 5
Biddle City: 5, 6
Bidwell, Seth: 189
Bingham, Gov. Kinsley S.: 129, 203
Bio-Gas Detector Corporation: 163
Bishop, Alfred: 180
Black, Kenneth: 98
Blades, Rev. Frank A.: 110
Blair, Lyle: 219
Blaisdell, Thomas C.: 219
Blanchard, Gov. James: ii, iv, v, 164
Bliss, H. Bond: 44
Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Michigan: vii, 77-78, 124-125, 164, 170-171, 176, 190
Blunt, Christopher: 106
Board of Realtors: v, 6
Board of Water & Light: vi, vii, viii, 78-81, 162, 172, 219
BoarsHead Theater: 92, 93, 95, 156, 218
Boess, Daniel: 25
Bohnet Electric Company: 82
Bohnet, George: 82, 83
Bohnet, William F.: 82
Booth, Edwin: 75, 90
Booth, John Wilkes: 75
Borbas, Hope: 219
Bouck, Bob: 218
Bowd and Munson: 36, 50, 61, 179
Bowd, Edwyn A.: 36, 37, 41
Boynton, Gary: ii, 218
Boynton Photography: ii, 218
Bradner, H.E.: 33
Brady, Jimmy: 29
Brainard, Owen: 107
Brancheau, Rev. Father Lafayette I.: 114
Brandstatter, Art: 135
Brantley, Terri: 224
Brauer, Stanley: 103
Brauer’s 1861 House: 89
Brel, Jacque: 156
Brennan, Thomas E.: 143
Breslin (Jack) Student Events Center: 139
Brink, Lawrence R.: 108
Broas, Charles: 78
Brookfield: 50
Brophy, J.W.: 53
Brown, Addison Makepeace: 179
Brown, C. Exera: 219
Brown, Jeannette: 196
Brown-King, Judi: 135
Brown’s City Directory: 16, 18, 20, 104
Brownson, C.E.: 25
Brucker, Dr. Karl and Ione: 91
Brush Electric System Operating Center (BWL): 172
Buck, Daniel W.: 13, 22, 75, 90
Buck (D.W.) Furniture and Undertaking: 75, 90
Buck, Mary: 120
Buck’s Opera House: 75, 90
Buckskin (Lt. L.B. Baker’s horse): 11
Buick: 38
Buick-Oldsmobile-Cadillac Group of General Motors: 166, 186, 187, 198, 218
Buick Somerset Regal: 187
Bunday Furniture: 78
Burcham Woods apartments: 181
Burchard, John W.: 6, 7, 17, 74
Burr, Mrs. Laura: 129
Burton, Mark: 218
Bush, Charles: 14
Bush, J.J.: 22
Bush, John: 72
Bushnell, Frederick: 5, 6
Butler, John W.: 13
Butterfield: 91
Buxton, Dave: 214
B’Zar Restaurant: 106, 181

C
CADAM (Computer Augmented Design and Manufacturing): 142
Cady, Claude E.: 91
Caguiat, Carlos J.: 173
Calliopean Society: 90
Camp Discovery: 101
Candy Land: 104
Cannell & Edmonds: 56
Capital Aircraft Corporation: 45, 49
Capital Area United Way: 126, 215
Capital Auto Company: 83
Capital City Airport: 49, 69
Capital City Baptist Church: 118
Capital Motion Pictures: 40-41
Capital National: 48, 74
Capital News: 84
Capitol Building(s): xii-xiii, 12, 112
Capitol (theater): 91
Capitol Cadillac: 84
Capitol City Lumber: 82
Capitol City Wrecking Company: 61-62, 82
Capitol Commons: 112
Capitol Federal Savings and Loan: 3, 73, 185
Capitol Investment Building and Loan Association: 73
Capitol National Bank: 74
Carnegie Public Library: 36, 98
Carpenter, Rolla: 24
Carpenter, William: 112
Carr, Leland W.: 62
Carrier, M. Ralph: 24
Carroll, J.E.: 23
Carter, W. L.: 78
Carver, Carlisle: 68, 219
Casa Nova: 106
Case, Mrs. D.L.: 16
Case, Daniel L.: 74, 120
Cassell & Edmonds (in photo): 56
Caspers Systems Corporation: 164
Catholic Community Services: 118
Catholics: 110, 112, 114, 115, 118, 119, 120, 122
Ceasar, Ford S.: ii, 5, 219, 224
Cedar Street School: 128
Celentino, Joe: 108
Celentino’s Lounge and Restaurant: 108
Center for the Arts: 92, 95, 96
Central Implement Company: 34
Central Michigan Business College: 139
Central Michigan Savings Bank: 18, 23
Central Methodist: 110, 115, 116
Central Park: 99
Central Park Group: 200
Central Park Place: 200
Central Presbyterian Universalites: 110
Centrifugal Fusing Company: 64, 67
Chapin, Edward and Ella King: 47
Chapin, Roy D.: 29, 46-47, 121
Chapman, Grover E.: 104
Chatterton, Sarah: 14
Cherry Street School: 18, 129
Chevrolet-Pontiac-GM of Canada Group: 187
Chicago Daily Tribune: 62, 65
Chief Okemos Boy Scout Council: 215
Children’s Theater: 94
Chippewas: 3
Christ Lutheran: 115
Christian and Missionary Alliance: 119
Christian Church (Disciples of Christ): 118, 119
Christian Methodist Episcopal: 119
Christian Reformed: 119
Christian Scientists: 117, 119
Christman Company: ix, 36, 50, 61, 83
Christmas Season 1882 Memories: 78
Chrysler: 61
Church of the Brethren: 118, 119
Church of Christ: 119
Church of the Resurrection: 53, 115, 177
Church Women United of Greater Lansing: 119
Churches of God in Christ: 119
Cisplatin: 138
Citizens Telephone Company: 78
City Club: 18, 103
City Hall: 49
City Market: 152
City National Bank: 56, 72-74
City of East Lansing: 178
City of Lansing: 95, 101, 188
City Visions, Inc.: 112
Civil War Muster (photo): 152-153
Civil Works Administration: 58
Clara’s: 70
Clark Carriage Company: 22
Clark (A.) & Company: 19, 27
Clark, Arthur J (A.J.).: 170, 179
Clark, Charles F.: 104
Clark, Ellis: 189
Clark, Frank G.: 27, 34
Clark, Ira: 32
Clark Construction Company: 140
Clark Sesquicentennial Farm – Eagle, Clinton County: 2
Clarkmobile Company: 34
Clemison, George: 97
Clinton County: 3, 72
Clinton County Republican: 53
Clinton, Judy Merrill: 144
Clinton Memorial: 123
Clinton National Bank: ix, 72
Clippert & Spaulding and Company: 35
Clowns (photo): 152-153
Club Lebanon: 105
Coldwater Republican: 8
College Drug Store: 51
College Hall: 131
College Lutheran: 115
College of Communications Arts and Sciences: 137
College Education: 136
College of Human Medicine: 138
College of Osteopathic Medicine: 123, 138
College of Veterinary Medicine: 123, 138
College Park: 178
Collegeville: 178
Collins, George C.: 68
Collver Custom Shirt Factory: 22
Colonial Theatre (background left-photo): 18
Commerce and Trade Building: 146
Communication Arts & Science Building: 85, 138
Community Circle Players: 92
Community Physician Groups: 190
Comstock Park (WPA Crew): 60
Congregational: 110, 111, 113, 116, 119
Congregation Shaarey Zedek: 117
Conrail: 16
Consumers Power Company: 53, 81, 174
Contemporary Image Adv., Ltd.: ii
Convent, The Old: 112
Coats, Kacia: 224
Cook, Addison (family): 4
Cooley, E.F.: 27, 174
Cooley Gardens: 101
Cooley-Haze House: 164
Cooley, Jacob Frederick: 5, 6
Cooley, Lansing: 6
Cooley, Lucy: 6
Cooley, Thomas M.: 143
Cooley (Thomas M.) Law School: 143-144, 162
Cooper House: 25
Copyfitters, Ltd.: ii
Coral Gables Restaurant: 105, 218
Corey’s Restaurant: 106
Corr (F.) Inc.: 83
Corr, Francis: 83
Corr, Dorothy: 83
Coscarelli’s: 106
Costerisan, Floyd: 199
Cottage Hospital: 120
Country Club of Lansing: 103
Cowles, A.E.: 22
Cowles House: 139
Crane, Maurice: 107
Cranson, K.R.: 218
Crego, Mayor Raph: 68
Cranson, K.R.: ii
Cristo Rey: 118, 177
Crocker, George: 48
Cronk Brothers Gum Factory: 32
CROP Walk: 118, 126
Crossman, D.L.: 76
Crossroads Cafeteria: 70
Crotty, John: 22
Crotty’s City Book Store: 25
Crystal White Sugar Company: 55
Cullins, Paul: 107
Curry, John: ii, 224
“Curved-dash Oldsmobile”: 29-32, 33, 46
Cycle and Auto Trade Journal: 35

D
Dail Steel Products: 40
Dakin College: 121
Dancer-Brogan: 41
Dancer’s Fashions: ix
Danforth, E.B.: 13
Darling, Birt: 2, 3, 6, 11, 12, 19, 72, 114, 219, 224
Dart, Doc Campbell: 74
Dart, Eben: 14, 15
Dart, John H.: 140-141
Dart, Rollin C.: 74
Dart, Sarah: 12
Dart Aircraft: 49
Dart Auditorium: 141
Dart Container Corporation: 69, 205
Dart National Bank: 74
Dash, M.: 15, 16, 219
Data Communications Technical Services (Burroughs): 163
Datamatic Processing, Inc.: 164
Daugherty, Hugh “Duffy”: 136
Davenport College of Business: vii, ix, 20, 40, 175
Davis, Arthur: 49
Davis, Arthur T.: 76
Davis, Benjamin F.: 36, 42, 68
Davis brothers: 78
Davis, Charles J.: 17, 22
Davis Ice Cream Co.: 44
Davis, James R.: 184
Davis, Dr. Marilee: 167
Davison Chemical Company: 65
Decker, Carmen: 93
Degen, Wanda: 118
DeKleine Company: 189
Delta Dental Insurance: vii
Delta Dental Plan of Michigan: 78, 151, 176
Delta Dental (Smile Day): 125
Delta Diesel Engine Plant (Delta Township): 187
Delta 88: 187
Delta Mills: 5
Delta Queen riverboat: 107
DeHaven, Craig: 105
DeMarco, Emil: 106
Department of Mechanic Arts (MSU): 132
Department of Military Science and Tactics (MSU): 132
Depot, The: 108
Detroit Free Press: 49, 65
Detroit Product Team: 186
Deviney Place (House): 120, 212
Dewhurst, Kurt: 50
DeWitt Station (railroad men): 15
Dexter Trail: 4
Dialog Systems, Inc.: 163
Diamond Reo: 69
DiBiaggio, John A.: 139, 203
Diocese of Lansing (Catholic): 114, 177, 218
Dine’s: 105
Dixieland Express: 107
Dixon, Martha: 217
Dr. Zap and Annie Anatomy: 191
Dodge Brothers: 83
Dodge, Frank L. and Abby: 102
Dodge, Fred: 50
Dolson, John L.: 34
Donahue, Kitty: 107
Donnelly, Mike: 135
Dot, Wing: 106
Dougan, Jeffrey: 93
Dowden, Mr. and Mrs. William: 139, 140
Downey (Hotel): 11, 25, 33, 61, 104, 120, 212
Downtown Arts Theater: 91
Downtown Lansing, Michigan Avenue (100 block): 71
Drake, Robert: 107
Dream Lake Condominiums (Okemos): 182
Driggs Aircraft Corporation: 49
Driggs, Ivan H.: 49
Driscoll, Lewis: 36
Driscoll’s Cigar Store: 34
Drobney, Roger: 200
Druse, Joseph: 219
Dunn, Jim: 182
Dunn & Fairmont: 182
Dunham Hardware: 24
Duo Therm: 63
Duplex Truck Company: 40, 45, 62, 64, 67, 97
Durand, J.T.: 5
Durant: 97
Durant, Billy: 38
Durant, Samuel W.: 13, 16, 18, 76, 219
Durant, W.C.: 42
Durant Motor Works: 42, 44, 60

E
Eagle Restaurant: 91, 105-106
Earl, Harley: 64
East Campus Intramural Facility: 139
East Lansing Development Corporation: 179
East Lansing, Michigan: vii, 178
East Lansing Peace Education Center: 118
East Lansing Press: 53, 56
East Lansing Public Library: 218
East Lansing State Bank: 73, 179
Eastern High School: 48, 59
Eastern-Pattengill Field House: 185
Eaton Medical Group: 163
Eaton Rapids Community Hospital: 123
Eaton Stamping Company: 163
Ebersol, Charles E.: 139
Ebersole (Vernon D.) Environmental Education and Conference Center: 197
Eberson, John: 48
Eckert, Kathryn: 37
Eckert Power Plant: 81
Edmonds, James Pelton (J.P.): 14, 37, 219
Edmonds (J.W.) Company: 56
Eichinger, Marilynne: 96
1861 House: 18, 103
Eilers. Al: ii
El Azteco: 108
Elbinger (Doug) Studios: 218
Elderly Instruments: 70
Electronic Data Systems Corporation (EDS): 186
Elliott, Frank N.: 219
Elliott, Onalee: 200
Ellis, Leon: 199
Emerald Forest homes (Okemos): 182
Emil’s East and West: 106
Emmanuel First Lutheran Church: 113
Empress: 91
Engineering Building: 85
Episcopalians: 113, 118, 119
Eppley Center for the College of Business: 137
Ernest Sayers’ Turkish Bath: 39
Estes Furniture: vii, 78, 180
Estill’s Cafeteria: 104
Estill, Russell: 104
Everett House: 10
Everson, John: 91
Expounder: 10
Eyde Construction Company: 83, 181, 188
Eyde, George and Louis: 106, 181, 188
Eydealville (now North Point Apartments); 181

F
Factory in Production: 58
Fairchild Theater: 136
Fairmont (Scott) Builders: vii, 182
Famous Grill: 104
Farm at the corner of Grand River Avenue and Hagadorn Road (East Lansing): 39
Farm Bureau Services, Inc.: 67
Farm Help Bureau: 39
Farmers’ Bank of Mason: 73
Farwood Subdivision (East Lansing): 182
Faunce, Bill: 107
Federal Drop Forge: 64, 68, 69
Federal Emergency Relief Administration: 58
Federal Mogul (St. Johns Plant): vii, 69, 147, 183
Federated Publications: 84
Fedewa, Fr. Matthew: 177
Fenner Arboretum: 100
Fenner, Carl: 100
Ferrey, Mrs. Marie B.: 97
Ferris, Gov. William N.: 97
Ferris State: 24
Fire Engine (Early): 77
Fire Station #2: 72
Fireproof Storage Company: 53
First Baptist Church: 37, 110
First Baptist Society: 111
First Church of Christ Scientist: 117
First Methodist Class: 110
First National Bank: 18, 72
First National Bank of St. Johns: 72
First New Church Society: 110
First of America Bank – Central: 73, 185, 215
First Presbyterian Church: 110, 111, 115
First State Savings Bank: 74
First Ward Schoolhouse: 110, 111, 114
Firth, Henry: 20
Fish, Jeff: ii, 218
Fisher Body: 42, 44, 52, 58, 61, 64, 66, 68, 69, 186
Fitch, George: 84
“Fitness for Youth”: 124
Fitzgerald, Governor Frank: 60
Fitzgerald Park: 92
Fizzell, Dick: 107
Flaherty, Jo Ellen: 224
Fleming Hotel: 36
Fletcher, Hon. Wm. A.: 76
Flying Cloud (Reo Speed Wagon Model): 45
Foo Ying Cafe: 106
Foote, W.A.:81
Ford, Kathy: 107
Ford, Simon: 76
Ford, William and Jerry: 5, 6
Forest Computer: 163
Forrester, U. H.: 78
Foster, Joe C., Jr.: 184
Foster, Richard B.: 76
Foster, Walter S.: 76, 179
Foster Street School: 36
Foster, Swift, Collins & Coey, P.C.: 76
Foster, Walter S.: 170
Foster, William Hornden: xvi
Fowler, B.C.: 82
Fowler, Pamela K.: 224
Fox Brothers Grocery: 51
Fox, Martin Luther: 116
Frances Park: 53, 99, 100
Frandor and Clinton Bank: 182
Frandor Shopping Center: 83
Franklin Cars: 83
Frankling House: 25
Fraser, Archie C.: 184
Fraser, Trebilcock, Davis & Foster: vii, 76, 184
Free Methodist: 119
Freeman, Robert: 185
Freeman, Smith and Associates (Architects): vii, 185
French, Robert E.: 207
Friedland, David: 117
Friends of Cooley Gardens and Other Greenspaces: 101
Friends of the Zoo Society: 86-87, 100
Frizzell, Dick: 107
Frontier, The: 108
Full Gospel Businessmen’s Fellowship Association: 119
Fuentes, Margarita and Ramon: 106
Furda Biomedical Labs, Inc.: 163

G
Gabriels, Father John: 53
Gale Manufacturing Company: 24
Gannett Co., Inc.: 84, 95
Gannon, Phillip: 140-142, 195
Gannon Vocational-Technical Center: 141
Garden (theater): 91
Gardner (Marjorie J.) Wellness Center: 209
Gardner Middle School: 197
Gateway Systems Corporation: 163
General Motors: vii, 38, 42, 61, 67, 69, 161, 176, 184, 186-187, 190
GM Parts Plant: 187
GM Warehousing & Distribution Division: 186
Geriatrix Six Plus One: 107
German Methodist Church: 110
Get Away Travel ‘n Tours: 164
Gibson, Ronald: 108
Gier, B.S.: 59, 204
Gier Pressed Steel: 40, 42, 59
Gikas, Tom: 104
Gillett and Kirby Jewelry Store: 25, 165
Gillett, Israel: 11
Gladmer Theater: 75, 90
Gleason, Joseph G.: 78, 122, 170
Glenn, Col. J.L.: 10
“God’s Barn”: 110
Gold Card Club: 197
Goodman, Sarah Frances: 99
Goodrich, Rep. Enos: 8
Goodyear: 97
Grace Lutheran: 115
Grainger, Helen F.: 219
Grammel, Randolph: 35
Grand Ledge Chair Company: 49
Grand Ledge Clay Products Company: 49
Grand Ledge Lion: 49
Grand Ledge Sewer Tile Company: 49
Grand River Ave. (East Lansing) photos: 50, 178
Grand River Trail: 4
Grand River Valley Road: 16
Grand Trunk – Canadian National U.S. Canada: 16, 32
Grand Trunk Railroad (cars): 14, 15
Grand Trunk Railroad (depot): 37
Grandmothers: 105
Grange Life: 78
Granger Construction Company: 83
Granger, GayMarie – Pen and Inc.: ii, 218
Grant (W.T.) Store: 56
Gray, Mayor Peter: 56
Great Depression: 51-56, 59, 60, 72, 134, 136
Great Lakes Bible College: 101, 143, 175
Greater Lansing Area Dance Council: 94
Greater Lansing Board of Realtors: vii, 69
Greater Lansing Chamber of Commerce (title varies): 42, 44, 58, 63, 67, 69. 97, 162, 166, 214
Greater Lansing Council of Churches: 118
Greater Lansing Symphony: 92-93
Greek Orthodox: 119
Green Thumb: 102
Greenleaf, Bill: 224
Greenville, Treaty of: 2
Grinnell, Bryan: 107
Grinwis, Diana L.: ii, 224
Gross, Harold: 85, 217
Gross Telecasting: 85, 217
Gurganian, Vaughn: 218
Gusting A. Mops & Co.: 34

H
Hacker, Ted: 107
Hackett, John P.: 50
Hagadorn, Dr. J.W.: 36
Hager, Alton J.: 49
Hager Fox Company: vii
Hales Manufacturing Co.: 34
Halstead, Charles N.: 84
Hammell Cigar Co.: 20, 22
Hammell, James: 20, 22
Hammond, John: 92
Hammond, Jason Elmer: 24
Hancock Manufacturing Co.: 45
Hanley, Richard: 70
Hannah, John A.: 66, 136-138, 184, 188
Hannah Technology & Research Center: vii, 163, 181, 188
Happendance: 94
Harbor Point Resort: 37
Harbor Springs: 37
Harper, Harry F.: 40, 59, 204
Harden, Edgar L.: 138, 215
Harley Hotel: 107
Harper, Harry F.: 170
Harris, Max D.: 199
Harrison Roadhouse: 108
Harry Hill High: 128
Hart, A.N.: 13
Hart, Dar: 107
Hart, George W.: 33
Hart’s Flour Mill: 19
Hasselbring-Clark: vii, 189
Hasselbring Company: 189
Hasselbring, Russell: 189
Hawley, Augustus D.: 76
Hayek, John: 219
Hayes Electric Co.: 82
Hayes, F.D.: 82
Hayes-Green-Beach Hospital: 123
Hayes Motor Wheel Company: 50
“Headlight Flashes”: 20, 219
Heald, Anthony: 92
Health Central, Inc.: vii, 124, 150, 190
Heartwood homes (Okemos): 182
Heath, J.J.: 20
Herrmann Conference Center: 195
Herrmann, Conrad: 48
Herrmann, John Theodore: 48
Herrmann, Richard: 48
Hermann Tailor Shop: 45
Herrmann’s (John) & Sons: 45, 48
Heward, Hugh: 2
Hildreth Manufacturing Company: 19
Hildreth Motor & Pump Co.: 35
Hill Academic and Vocational Center: 197
Hill-Diesel Engine Company: 45, 64, 97
Historical Society of Greater Lansing: 114
History of Ingham and Eaton Counties of Michigan: 13, 76
HMO (Health Maintenance Organization): 124
Hobies, Inc.: 108
Holbrook, E.P.: 139
Holden Reid: 78
Hollister Building: 56. 74, 77, 168, 184
Holmes, Elwin C., and daughter Luvenia: 55
Holmes, John C.: 129, 131
Holmes, Luvenia: 55
Holmes, Warren S., Co.: 170
Holmes, W.S. & Son: 23
Holy Cross church: 177
Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church: 185
Home Dairy: 104, 105
Home Dairy Building: 76
Home Health Care of Sparrow, Inc.: 213
Honhart, Dr. Fred: 224
Hopewell Indians: 2
Hopkins, Claude: 38
Horizon Center: 196
Horticulture Building: 50
Horuczi, Jackie: 200
Hosmer, Rufus: 84
Hotel Butler: 25
Hotel Kerns: 10, 61, 211
Hotel Maltby: 25
Hotel Olds: 48, 170
Hotel Wentworth: 10
Hough, Jim (The Onlooker): 86-87
Hudson, J.L.:47
Hudson Motor Car Company: 29, 46, 47
Hugarth, John R.: viii
Hugh Lyons & Co.: 23, 53, 64, 99
Hughes, Robert B.: vii
Hungerford (Morgan B.) home: 171
Hunt, Ada, Clara, Agnes and Florence: 51
Hunt Club: 105
Hunt’s Food Shop: 51
Hurt, Mary Beth: 92
Hurt, William: 92
Huxtable, (Frank) Farms: 143
Hynes, Sister Mary Assisium: 122

I
Ideal Power Lawn Mower Company: 45
Imes (Lewis E.) Photo Studio (above bank-photo): 18, 25
Immaculate Heart of Mary church: 177
Impression 5 Museum: vii, 96, 153, 191
Inco Graphics: viii
Independent Fundamentalists: 119
Indoor Football Practice Facility: 139
Indoor Tennis Facility: 139
Industrial Metal Products Company: 64, 66
Industrial School for Boys: 20
Ingham County Bar Association: 184
Ingham County Chest Hospital: 121, 194
Ingham County Court House: 36
Ingham County Economic Development Corporation: 188
Ingham County Food Bank: 118
Ingham County Intermediate School District: 201
Ingham County Tuberculosis Sanatorium: 194
Ingham Medical Center: vii, 121-122, 124, 150, 194
Ingham Medical Hospital: 194
Ingham, Samuel D.: 5, 6
Ingham Sanitorium: 121
Institute for Advancement of Prosthetics: 163
Institute of Merchandising and Design: 144
Interlake Business College: ix, 139
Ionia and Lansing Railroad: 16, 17
Islamic Center: 119
ISO-E Chemistry Lab, Inc.: 163
Izenson, Sandy: 107

J
Jackson, President Andrew: 77
Jackson National Life Insurance Co.: vii, 77, 149, 192-193
Jackson Patriot: 110
Jackson, William A.: 78
Jacobson, Daniel: 117
Jacobson, Helen: 219
Japan Adventure: 142
Jarrett, Dr. Lawrence M.: 123, 196
Jarrett, Dr. Harriet: 123, 196
Jarvis Engine and Machine Works: 22, 67
Jaycees: 96, 102
Jehovah’s Witnesses: 119
Jenison Field House: 62, 136
Jenison, O.A.: 12, 32, 36
Jerome, John J.: 199
Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints: 119
Jewell, Charlie: 131-132, 219
Jewish faith: 117, 119
Jim’s Tiffany Restaurant: 95, 105, 160, 174
John Bean Manufacturing Company: 64, 67
Johnson, Charles E.: 210
Johnson, Dave: 224
Johnson, Earvin “Magic”: 135, 138, 155, 185
Johnson, Frank B.: 22
Johnson, W.A. And C.E.: 139
Jones, Mrs. Adelaide Aldrich: 5
Jones, Mike: 190
Jordan, Jim: 162
Jordan and Steele Manufacturing Company: 45
Joy, John: 50
Jubeck, Peter: 108
Judson, James B.: 112
Judson Memorial Baptist Church: 111
Jungwirth, Leonard D.: 94
Junior Chamber of Commerce: 51, 54
Junior League of Lansing: 95, 96
Jury-Rowe Company: 56-photo background left, 61, 78-photo

K
Kafantaris, George and Maria: 106
Kazenko, Rosemarie: 224
Kedzie, Ella: 130
Kedzie, Frank Stewart: 42, 130, 132, 134
Kedzie, Kate Marvin: 130
Kedzie, Robert ClarkL 42, 130, 132
Kedzie, William and Robert F.: 130
Keck Geophysical Instruments: 163
Keena Truck Leasing: 198, 205
Keller, Wally: 107
Kellert, Father: 114
Kellogg Center for Continuing Education: 66, 136
Kellogg (W.K.) Foundation: 66
Kellogg, W.K.: 66
Kelly’s Downtown: 160
Kestenbaum, Justin: 12, 14, 219
Kewpee Hotels Hamburgers: 105, 108
Keys, Elmer: 54
Keystone homes (Okemos): 182
Kilbourne, Joseph H.: 120
Kilbourne, Rep. Joseph K.: 7
Kilbourne, Samuel L.: 120
Kilby Manufacturing Company: 56
Killips, Robert: 218
Killips, Rosa Lopez: 94
Kimes, Beverly Rae: 219
Kinsler, Dale: 107
Kish Industries: 67
Kivilaan, Dr. Alexander: 133
Knapp (J.W.) Company: 40, 41, 61
Knapp, Linda Petroff: 144
Knapp’s Department Store (Office Center): 181
Knopp, David: 92
Koerts Glass & Paint Co.: vii
Kold-Hold Manufacturing Company: 64, 67
Kooistra, George J.: ii, 219, 224
Korab, Balthazar: 218
Kositchek’s: viii, 78
Kositchek & Bros.: 20, 41, 165
Kositchek, Henry: 36
Kresge Art Center (Museum): 95, 137, 157
Kresge Foundation: 95, 137
Kresge (S.S.) Co.: 170
Kroger Grocery & Baking Company: 56
Kroone, John: 224
Kruger, Verlen: 104
Kuhn, Madison: 41, 136, 219
Kwik Kar Wash (Meridian Township): 182

L
Laboratory of Clinical Medicine: 163
Lake Lansing: 53, 102-103, 153
Lake Shore & Michigan Southern: 16, 26, 32, 34
Lake Shore & Southern Michigan Elevator: 19
Lafferty, Valerie: 200
Landick, Steve: 104
Lane, William: 70
“Lansing: A Progressive City”: 44
Lansing Area Christian Educators: 119
Lansing Art Gallery: 95, 157
Lansing Auto Sales: 83
Lansing Ballet Company: 94
Lansing Beet Growers Association: 55
Lansing Board of Education: 98, 99, 129, 140, 141, 195
Lansing Boat Company: 103
Lansing Brewing Company: 22
Lansing Business College: 20, 24
Lansing Business Institute building: 175
Lansing Businessmen’s Association: 29, 32, 36
Lansing Business University: 139, 140
Lansing Cafe: 105
Lansing Chair Factory: 22
Lansing City Club: 89
Lansing City Guide Publishing Co.: 219
Lansing City Hall (Old): 49
Lansing City Hospital: 120
Lansing City Market (photo): 152
Lansing Civic Players: 90, 91
Lansing Commercial Institute: 139
Lansing Community College (LCC): vii, 92. 94, 127, 140-143, 160, 162, 163, 195, 218
LCC Lookout: 218
Lansing Company: 36, 40, 62, 64, 68
Lansing Cooperage Company: 37
Lansing Country Club: 107
Lansing Cutlass Assembly Plant: 187
“Lansing Day”: 54
Lansing Drop Forge: 64, 68
Lansing Electric Light and Power Company: 80
Lansing Engraving Co.: 224
Lansing Exchange Club: 153
Lansing Food Bank: 201
Lansing Foundation: 95
Lansing Fuel & Gas Light Co.: 32
Lansing General Hospital: vii, 123, 124, 151, 196
Lansing General Motors Corporation: 99
Lansing High School (Old Central): 112
Lansing House: 11, 12
Lansing Ice & Fuel Company: 45, 81-82
Lansing Ice & Gymnastics Center: 104
Lansing Improvement Company: 22, 24
Lansing Insurance Agency: 20, 167
Lansing Iron Works: 19
Lansing Iron and Engine Works: 23
Lansing & Jackson Railroad: 16
Lansing, John: 6
Lansing Journal: 22, 24, 27, 32, 84
Lansing Library and Literary Association: 98
Lansing Machining Company: 64
Lansing National Bank: 18, 72, 74, 202
Lansing Oldsmobile Company: 83
Lansing Paint & Color Company: 64
Lansing Pants & Overalls Company: 22
Lansing Parts Plant: 187
Lansing Product Team facilities: 66, 186
Lansing Public Library: 98, 99, 224
Lansing Public Schools: vii, ix, 128
Lansing Pure Ice Company: 82
Lansing Regional Chamber of Commerce: ii, vii, 166
Lansing Republican: 14, 15, 18, 37, 84, 117
Lansing Resort: 37
Lansing School District: 197
Lansing Stamping Company: 64
Lansing State Journal: ix, 8, 39-42, 44, 45, 48, 51-54, 58, 60-65, 67, 69, 70, 82-84, 91, 218, 224
Lansing State Savings Bank: 18, 73
Lansing, St. Johns & St. Louis Railroad Co.: 16
Lansing Sugar Company: 32, 56
Lansing Symphony: 90
Lansing Tennis Club: 103
Lansing Township: 5
“Lansing 2000”: 162, 164
Lansing Wagon Works: 19
Lansing Wheelbarrow Company: 19, 21-23, 28, 38, 62, 68
Lansing Wheelbarrow Team (baseball): 19
Lansing Women’s Club: 90, 148
Lansing Woolen Mills: 18
Lansing YMCA: 42
Larned, Abner E.: 59
Lawrence, Charles: 48
Lawrence Baking Company: 48
Leavenworth Studios: ii, 218
LeClear, H.W.: 20
LeClear, J.M.: 20
Ledges Playhouse: 92
Lee, Daniel: 14
Lee GMC Trucks Inc.: vii, 84, 198
Lee, R. William “Bill”: 84, 198
Lewis Cass Building: 41, 66, 67, 97
Library Citizens Committee: 98
Library of Michigan (State): 97
Liebermann’s: 78
Liebermann Trunk Company: 56
Liederkranz Hall: 36
Lighthart, L.E.: 189
Lincoln, President Abraham: 132
Lindberg Screw Products: 64
Lindell Drop Forge: 64, 68, 69
Litho Color Service: ii
Livingston, E.A.: 55
Lockwood & Son: 50
Lockwood-Ash Marine Motor Company: 35
Lockwood, Fred: 35
Long, Dick: 107
Long, John C.: 219
Longyear, Ephraim: 76
Longyear, Mrs. H.M.: 120
Longyear, John: 15
Longyear, John W.: 74
Looking Glass River: 3
Lookout: 140
Loose Wiles Biscuit Co.: 170
Lorenz Buick: 83
Lorenz, Harold: 83
Lorenz, R.K.: 83-84
Lounsberry, Mrs. Allen: 4
Lowe, Rachel: 5
Lower Town: 128
Ludwig, C.C.: 24
Lum family: 106
Lurie, Sy: 107
Lutheran Church School: 36
Lutherans: 36. 113, 115, 119
Luu, Dat: 106
Lyman Body Company: 58
Lyon, Diane: 200
Lyon, Edward F.: 183
Lyons, Hugh: 36

M
MacDowell, Marsha: 50
Macey, Kyle: 135
Mackey, Cecil: 138
Maglia, Andrew: 70
Main Street Methodist Church: 110, 115, 118
Majestic: 39
Malcangi, Vince: 108
Malcolm X: 105
Manassah, Sallie M.: ii
Maner, Costerisan & Ellis: vii, 199
Manufacturers Garden Committee: 40
Manufacturers National Corporation: 74
Maple River: 3
Maplewood School: 48
Marble School (East Lansing): 128
March of Dimes Broadcast: 85
Market Basket: 66
Marketing Resource Group: 164
Markham, Betty: 200
Martin Electric: 163
Mary Mayo Hall: 56, 136
Mascoutens: 2
Mason State Bank: viii, 73
Mason, Phillip P.: 219
Mason, Governor Stevens T.: 6
Masonic Temple: 42, 48
Massoglia and Assoc. Inc.: 164
Mass Spectrometry Laboratory: 138
Masters, Kimberly: ii, 224
Matthews, O.L.: 34
Mattox, James: 167
Maud S. Windmill and Pump Company: 22, 23
Maurices: 78
May, George: 28, 30, 38, 60, 219
Mayer (Gregory) & Thom Co. (in photo): 79
Mayfair: 103
Mayflower Congregational Church: 113
Mayhood Mertz Realtors: vii, 200
McClary, Jane: ii, 224
McClintock Cadillac: 84
McClintock, F.H.: 84
McClintock, William: 84
McCoy, Allen: 93
McCuen, C.L.: 58
McElmurry, Scott: 205
McElmurry Service Transport (MST): 205
McGill, Charles B.: 201
McKane, Mayor Terry: 164, 224
McLaughlin, Mr. and Mrs. C.J.: 123
McLaughlin Osteopathic Hospital: 123, 196
McRee, Edward B.: 150, 194
Mead’s Block: 90, 91
Mead, Earl: 37
Mead’s Flour Mill: 19
Mead’s Hall: 90
Mead (James) House: 212
Mead, James I.: 72, 90, 120
Mead’s Star Theater: 91
Meier, Gustav: 93
Meijer Distribution Center: 69
Meijer Thrifty Acres: 198
Melling Forging Company: 45, 56, 64, 66, 68, 74
Memorandum ’76: 219
Mennonite: 119
Menuhin, Yehudi: 96, 157
Meridian Center Investments: 200
Meridian Hills Condominiums: 181
Meridian Instruments: 124, 163
Meridian Township Board: 188
Meridian Twp. Economic Development Corporation: 188
Merry-Go-Round (Lake Lansing): 102
Mertz, Martha Mayhood: 167, 200
Methodist Episcopal: 110
Methodists: 110, 115, 116, 118, 119
Metropolitan Fine Arts Council at the Center for the Arts: 96
Metzger, William E.: 83
Mevis, Daniel S.: 75, 219
Mexico Cafe: 106
Michigan Agenda: 118
Michigan Agricultural College: 14, 24, 25, 33, 84, 99, 100, 115, 129-134
Michigan Avenue Methodist Church: 115
Michigan Bell: 78, 80
Michigan Biotechnology Institute: 163-164
Michigan Catering Company: 102
Michigan Central: 32
Michigan Central Railroad Station: 52, 70
Michigan Council for the Arts: 95
Michigan Council of Churches: 120
Michigan Crank Shaft: 40
Michigan Dance Association: 94
Michigan Education Association: 48
Michigan Engineering Society: 24, 26
“Michigan Farmer”: 55
Michigan Farm Bureau: 78
Michigan Farm Worker Ministry Coalition: 120
Michigan Female College: 14, 129, 144
Michigan Fertilizer Company: 45, 65
Michigan Gazetteer and Business Directory: 17, 25, 104
Michigan Grange: 25
Michigan Historical Commission: 97
Michigan Historical Museum: 97-98
Michigan History Division: 37
Michigan Horseshoers: 24
Michigan Hospital Association: 77
Michigan Inter-Collegiate Association (MIAA): 134
Michigan Interfaith Disaster Response: 120
Michigan Knitting Company: 23
Michigan Legislature: 7, 8, 10, 97
Michigan Life Insurance Company: 79
Michigan Livestock Exchange: 48
“Michigan Manufacturer & Financial Record”: 44, 45, 52, 65, 67
Michigan Millers Mutual Insurance: vii, ix, 20, 24, 50, 76-77, 148, 201, 219
Michigan Money ATM’s: 202
Michigan National Bank: vii, 66, 74, 202
Michigan National Tower: 48, 184, 199, 202
Michigan Peace Network: 120
Michigan Photographers’ Society: 48
Michigan Pioneer Society: 8, 12, 16, 97
Michigan Podiatric Association: 112
Michigan Power Company: 80
Michigan Prosecuting Attorneys Association: 48
Michigan Reformatory: 20
Michigan Republican Newspaper Association: 24
Michigan Retail Dry Goods Association: 48
Michigan School for the Blind: 20, 129
Michigan Screw Company: 34, 36, 48, 49, 100
Michigan State Agricultural Society: 129
Michigan State College: 53, 54, 56, 66, 103, 134-137, 170
MSC Demonstration Hall: 58
MSC Restaurant: 51
Michigan State Journal: 18
Michigan State Medical Society: 78
Michigan State Millers’ Association: 24
Michigan State Telephone Company: 78
Michigan State University: vii, viii, 93, 94, 123, 124, 130, 137-139, 162, 203
MSU Agricultural Hall: 37
MSU Archives and Historical Collection: 218, 224
MSU Auditorium mural: 43, 55
MSU Band: 138
MSU Board of Trustees: 215
MSU Canoeists at the Red Cedar River: 104
MSU Carcinogenesis Laboratory: 124, 138
MSU Cheerleaders: 155
MSU Clinical Center: vii, 123, 138, 151, 173
MSU Department of Family Practice: 190
MSU Extension Service: 134
MSU Faculty Club: 103
MSU Football Players: 154
MSU Health Center: 123, 136
MSU Hockey Team: 155
MSU Information Services: 218
MSU Library: 136
MSU Museum: 50, 77, 98, 139, 218
MSU Speech and Hearing Clinic: 123
MSU Sports Information: 218
MSU Track Team: 155
Michigan State Veterinary Association: 24
Michigan Sugar Co.: 170
Michigan Supreme Court: 184
Michigan Territory: 2, 3
Michigan Theater: 42, 48, 91 [Theatre]
Michigan Trucking News: 60
Michigan United Railways: 102
Michigan Wheel: 20
Michigan Wood Work Company: 34
Mid Michigan Opera Company: 95, 156
Mid-Michigan Red Cross: 184
Mid-Michigan Rehabilitation: vii
Middle Town: 128
Midway Park: 193
Milbury, Douglas: 215
Mills, Maria: 94
Mills Dry Goods: 167
Mineral Well House: 20
Mississippi Queen riverboat: 107
Mole Hole: 78
Mr. Toad: 78
Mitcham, William: ii, 218
Modern Dance Workshop: 94
Moffett House: 212
Moffett, John S.: 120
Moffett, Joyce Shaheen: ii, 224
Moon, Andrew: 101
Moon, Darius B.: 36, 37, 77, 101, 102
Moon, Sands and Mary: 101
Moon Log House: 101
Moore, Elder Levi: 117
Moore, Harry: 24
Moore, Marguerite: 171
Moores, James Henry: 19, 38, 99, 103
Moores Park: 99, 100, 103
Moores River Drive: 36
Morgan’s Jewelers: viii, 20
Morrill, Justin L.: 203
Morrill land-grant: 132
Morris, Robert J.: 112
Morris, Dr. Unary: 66
Motor Wheel Corporation: vii, 20, 42, 44, 45, 53, 58, 59, 62-65, 67, 69-70, 97, 142, 147, 166, 204
Moulton, Vern Valentine: 77, 168
Mount Hope Avenue Presbyterian: 115
MST Freight Systems: vii, 205
Mt. Hope Cemetery: 99
Muncie Products Company: 52
Munn, Clarence “Biggie”: 136
Munn Ice Arena: 138
Murninghan, Mayor Max: 140
Mutual Building: 77
Muzzy, J. Howard: 183
Muzzy Lyon Company: 183

N
Nash, A.J.: 179
Nash-Kelvinator: 62-64, 204
National Coil Co.: 34, 100
National House: 12, 14
National Institute for Research on Teaching: 138
National Public Radio Network: 85
National Science Foundation: 138, 139
National Voice Library: 136
Nature Way Association: 101
Nazarene: 119
Neal, Joseph M.: 91
Neff Elementary School (Grand Ledge): 124
Nehi Beverages, Inc.: 170
Neisner Bros.: 170
Neller, Richard: 97
Nemoke Trail Apartments: 181
Neogen Corporation: 163
New Church of Our Father: 37
New Way Motor Company: 32. 35, 40
New York Central: 16
Nichols, Charles W.: 126
Nichols, Jason: 36, 76
Nicolaou: Savvas: 106
Niemeyer, Glenn A.: 219
Niles Republican: 8, 10
Nolin, Randall: ii, 218
Nolta, Margie: 200
Norris, Don: 63
Norris, Donald: ii, 218
North Central Association of College and Universities: 141
North (Henry H.) Elementary School: 197
North, Joseph: 6
Northern Central Michigan Railroad: 16
Northwest Territory: 2
Northwind Farms apartment: 181
Northwood Institute: 215
Norton & Depue: 20
Novo Engine Co.: 40, 45, 53, 62, 64, 100
Novo Engine Foundry: 17
Nutter, Jack: 135

O
Oak Park (East Park): 99
Oddfellows: 18, 25, 144
Okemos Barn Theater: 92
Okemos, Chief: 3
Olds, David: ii, 218
Olds, Fred C.: 219
Olds Gas Power Company: 35
Olds Gasoline Engine Works: 28, 29
Olds Motor Vehicle Company: 27, 29, 186
Olds Motor Works: xvi, 29-30, 32, 33, 36, 38. 40, 42, 44, 45, 47, 48, 50, 52, 53, 122, 166, 184, 186
Olds (R.E.) Museum: 96
Olds, P.F. & Son: 20, 24, 25-27, 167
Olds, Pliny: 25, 162
Olds, Ransom E.: 28, 32, 33, 36, 39, 42, 44, 47, 54, 60, 64, 65, 70, 78, 96, 97, 118, 123, 166, 170, 184, 186, 202, 219
Olds, Sarah Whipple: 25, 28
Olds Tower: 48, 184, 202
Olds, Wallace: 25, 28
Oldsmobile: vii, xvi, 32, 62-65, 67-70, 83, 101, 146, 186
Oldsmobile 1897 Car: 27
Oldsmobile 1930 Roadster: 44
Oldsmobile 1940 “Woody” Station Wagon: 62
Oldsmobile 1950 “88” Hardtop Coupe (Holiday): 64
Oldsmobile 1966 Tornado: 68, 186
Oldsmobile Calais: 187
Oldsmobile Cutlass: 186
Oldsmobile Machine Gun Manufacturing: 62
Oldsmobile Newspaper Cartoon: 63
Oldsmobile Curved Dash runabout: 186
“Oldsmobile Shows”: 108
Olin Health Center: 123
Olivet Baptist Church: 111
Olofsson Tool & Die: 64, 69
“Olympic Players”: 90
One Michigan Avenue: 147
Opera Company of Greater Lansing: 93
Opera Company of Mid-Michigan: 94
Opera House: 90
O’Rafferty, Rev. Fr. John: 122
Oriental Mills: 13
Orpheum (theater): 91
Ottawas: 3
Otto, C.W.: 49
Our Gift Shop: 51
Owen (R.M.) Company: 83
Owens, Floyd: 103
Owens-Illinois Glass Container Company: 69

P
Page, Joab: 4, 7, 8, 10, 13, 17, 110
Palms (theater): 91
Pan Tree: 108
Pappas, Pete: 105
Panic of 1893: 72, 73
Paramount Newscenter: 211
Parkwood YMCA: 185
Parmalee and Jessop’s Shoe Store: 25
Parmelee & Co. Plaster Mill: 13
Parshall, W. Spencer: ii, 218
Parsons, Bob: ii
Parsons, George I.: 76
Pasant, A.J. “Tony”: 192
Parthenon Restaurant: 106
Partners in Progress: 165
Pasant, A.J. “Tony”: 77
Pashami Dancers: 94
Pasquale’s: 106
Pattengill, Henry R.: 128
Paul Henry Company: 67
Pavlova, Anna: 94
Peakes, Connie: 92, 93
Peakes, John: 92, 93
Peanut Shop: 211
Pearl Mills: 13
Pease, W. Marshall: 7
Peck, George: 76
Peerless Motor Company: 35
Peking Restaurant: 106
Peninsular Railroad: 16
Penney (J.C.) Store: 56, 66, 69
Pennsylvania Avenue Baptist Church: 111
Pentecostal: 119
Peoples Church: 50, 116
Pepper Mill: 13
Pere Marquette: 32
Perkins, James: 219
Perry Barker Candy Co.: 61
Perry, Coletta A.: ii
Person, Rollin H.: 76, 184
Person, Shields & Silsbee: 76, 184
Pesticide Research Center: 138
Peters, Scott: 219
Peterson, Eugene T.: 219
Phillips Manufacturing Company: 67
Phipps, Robert: 200
Phung, Hanh: 106
Physician’s Health Plan: vii, 124, 206, 213
Piatt, A.A.: 32
Piatt, E.K.: 67
Piatt Products Company: 62, 170
Pilgrim Congregational Church: 113
Pioneer History of Ingham County: 13, 15
Pistachio’s Restaurant: 108
Place, Robert E.: 207
Plant and Soil Science Building: 139
Plas-Labs, Inc.: 163
Players Guild: 91
Plaza project: 185
Plaza (theater): 91
Plaza One: 83, 147
Plymouth Congregational Church: 110, 111
Point Peninsula Indians: 2
Poison Control Center: 124
Pollock Mural at MSU Auditorium: 55
Pontiac: 3
Pontiac Grand Am: 187
Ponell, Milt: 107
Porter Hotel: 42
Porter, D.L.: 40, 59, 204
Portland and Ionia: 16
Post, Joseph M.: 207
Post, Dr. Julius: 120
Potawatomi: 2, 3
Potter, Carrie: 118
Potter, James W.: 20, 99
Potter, Ray: 48, 126
Potter Park Zoo: 61, 86, 99-100
Potter, Theodore E.: 36
Potterville: 20, 99
Pour House: 108
Povich, Bishop Kenneth J.: 177
Powell, Eliza: 197
Powertrain Product Team: 186
Pratt-Whitney: 63
Prentiss, A.N.: 219
Presbyterians: 110, 111, 113, 115, 116, 119
Pretzel Bell: 108
Price, Lawrence: 122
Priggoorris, Angel: 211
Prince, Michael: ii
Proctor, Hazel: 219
Production Credit Association (Mason): 185
Prudden Auditorium: 40, 93
Prudden Building: 42, 56
Prudden Wheel: 40, 42, 59
Prudden, W.K.: 39, 41, 121, 126, 166
Prudden (W.K.) Company: 32, 33
“Pulpit and Prayer in Early Lansing”: 114

Q
Quakers (Friends): 119

R
Racquet Club of Lansing: 104
Rademacher. Fr. William: 177
Railroad Museum: 164
Ramon’s: 106
Ranaud Plastics, Inc.: 67
Randall, Dr. O.M.: 170
Ransom Fidelity: 95
Raphael, Evelyn Huber: 219
Raplee, Watson: 78
Rathbun, Renee: 122
Ray Sablain, Inc.: 67
RBK Corp.: 164
Reading Robe & Canning Co.: 23
Reasoner Park: 99
Recomtex Corporation: 163
Reconstruction Finance Corporation: 74
Red Cedar Friends Meeting (Quakers): 118
Redeemer Lutheran: 115
Reed, Owen: 107
Regional Economic Development Team “Red Team”: 162
Reiff, Dr. Guy: 124
Reilly, Rich: 92
Reliance Engineering: 45
Reniger Construction Co.: 48, 50, 83, 179
Reniger, Henry: 218
“Reo Bird”: 32
Reo Clubhouse: 41
Reo Fairs: 61
Reo Motor Car Company: 32, 33, 37-40, 44, 48, 53, 56, 59-62, 64, 65, 67, 69, 70, 100
Reo Motor Truck Company: 39
R.E. Olds Museum: 96, 153, 218
“Reo Run”: 32
Reorganized Churches of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints: 119
Republic Plastics: 163
Residuals Management Technology, Inc.: 163
Reuter, Irving J.: 45
Reuter, I.G.: 48
Reutter, James L.: 82
Reutter, J. Gottlieb: 51, 82, 99, 219
Reutter, Mary Catherine: 99
Reutter Park: 99
Rhynard, Vic: 198
Rich, Dwight: 195
Richard, Martin: 106
Richards, Patsi: 107
Richardson, Ard E.: 84, 170
Rikard, H. W.: 32
Ringer, Jacob and Mary: viii
Riordan, Dan: 52
Riverfront Park: 100, 101, 104, 157-159
Riverside Country Club: 103
Roaring Brook: 37
Roberts Corporation: vii, 146, 147, 207
Robertson, James: 189
Robinson, Arnold: 214
Robinson’s Drugs (in photo): 72
Roe, J. Edward: 51, 53, 85
Roger Clark Band: 107
Rogers, Abigail and Delia: 129
Rogers, David: 5
Rolfe, Alvin: 13
Rolfe Settlement: 7
Rollie Stebbins Riverwalk: 16, 101
Roosevelt, President Franklin D.: 74
Roosevelt, President Theodore: 33, 134
Rose Bowl: 136
Rose, Chuck: 106
Rose Lake Wildlife Experimental Station: 101
Rouser, C.J.: 20, 34
Ryan, Edgar C.: 170
Ryder, E.H.: 179

S
Sabin-Judson House: 112
Sabin, Walter D.: 112
Saier, Thomas: 114
St. Casimir: 115, 177
St. Gerard: 115, 177
St. John’s Student Center: 109, 177
St. Johns Main Street and Courthouse: 70
St. Johns National Bank: 72
St. Johns Portable Building Company: 183
St. Johns Table Company: 50
St. Katherine’s Chapel: 118
Saint Lawrence Hospital: vii, 48, 78, 119, 120, 122-124, 150, 170, 184, 208-209
St. Lawrence School of Nursing: 140
St. Mary Cathedral (Church): 114, 115, 177
St. Mary Parish: 112
St. Paul (Episcopal): 110, 113
St. Pierre, Ernest G.: 108
St. Therese church: 177
St. Thomas Aquinas: 115,177
St. Vincent’s Home: 66, 118, 119
“Saint’s Rest”: 131
“Salon des Refuses”: 95
Salvation Army Church: 119
Sams, E.C.: 56
Sandefur, “Sandy”: 107
Sanderson, J.W.: 53
Saudi Airlines Corporation: 142
Sauks: 2
Sawyer, Arthur: 24
Schaberg Hardware and Lumber: 78
Schepers, Jacob: 179
Schirner, Buck: 93
Schirmer, Lil: 200
Schuitema, Don: 108
Schultz, Bertha: 40
Schultz, Jacob F.: 37
Schultz, Scott: 188
Schwartz, Dianne: ii, 218
Scofes, George: 104, 106
Scofes, Nick and Peter: 104
Scofes, Stephen: 104, 106
Scofield Mill: 13
Scott, David: 4
Scott, Richard H.: 32, 39, 45, 60, 100
Scott’s Woods: 100
Scypher, Ben: 124
Sealed Power Corporation (St. Johns): vii, 69, 146, 210
Second National Bank: 18, 72
Sederburg, Senator William A.: vii
Seventh-Day Adventists: 110, 116, 119
Seymour Avenue Methodist Church: 115
Seymour, James: 12, 15, 17, 110
Seymour’s map: 7
Seymour, William: 6
Shaft, Dr. R.C.: 196
Shank, Dr. Rush: 120
Sharp, Jaye: ii
Shaw, Robert: 54, 136
Shaw, Spencer: 102
Shawnees: 2
Sheraton Hotel: vii
Sheraton Inn: 70, 149, 169
Sherwood Paint Company: 45
Shiawassee Trail: 4
Shields, Edmund C.: 76, 122, 170, 184
Shoals subdivision (Okemos): 181
Shriner Band: 107
Shull & Alsdorf: 78
Sigler, Governor Kim: 57, 184
Sikh: 119
Silsbee, Harry A.: 76, 184
Silver Dollar Saloon: 105
Silver Lead Paint Company: 20, 78, 122, 231
Simon Iron & Steel: 20, 62
Simons Dry Good: 41
Sinadinos, George: 108
Sinsabaugh, Chris: 47
Sisters of Mercy Health Corporation: 208
Skehan, Marlene: 200
Skylark Aircraft: 49
Sleighing in front of Capitol: 111
Smith, A.A.: 20
Smith, Charles: ii, 211
Smith, Clyde B.: 49
Smith Floral: 54, 78, 211
Smith, Fred: 30, 38
Smith, Gurdon: 211
Smith, Hiram H.: 13, 15, 17, 18
Smith, Jim: 107
Smith, Lawrence “Larry”: 211
Smith, Marcia: 94
Smith, Robert: 185
Smith, Sadie: 55
Smith, Samuel L.: 28-30
Sneden, Robert: 140
Snell Environmental Group: 163
Snyder, Jonathan LeMoyne: 134
Solomon, Izler: 93
Sons of Temperance: 110
Sorkin, Suzanne, MD: 190
South Baptist Church: 111
Southwind Office Park: 181
Spanos, S.: 105
Sparrow, Edward W.: 19, 22, 27, 28, 71, 120-121, 170, 212
Sparrow Hospital: vii, 36, 78, 119-121, 123, 124, 151, 170, 212-213, 215
Sparrow Hospital (Children’s Ward): 223
Sparrow Hospital School of Nursing: 212
Sparrow, Margaret: 212
Spartan Bankcorp, Inc.: 179
Spartan Lanes: 105
Spartan Paper & Office Supply Co.: vii, 164, 214
Spartan Research Animals: 163
Spartan Stadium: 137
Spartan Store: 181
“Sparty” Statue: 94, 138, 154
Speaker, Hiner and Thomas: ix
Speculum: 132
Spencer, Mary C.: 98
Spirit of Lansing (paddleboat): 152
Spiritual Episcopal Churches: 119
Sprague, William “Al”: 102, 103
Stabenow, Representative Debbie: vii
Stahl, Frank: 91
Stahl, Jacob: 22
Stajos, James: 106
Standard Castings Corp.: 13
Standard Motor Sales Company: 83
Standard Real Estate Company: 42
Stanley, A.L., MD: 194
State Accident Fund Building: 171
State Board of Agriculture: 132, 134
State Board of Law Examiners: 143
State Capitol Building: xii-xiv
State Capitol in Detroit: 8
State College Club: 103
State Ecumenical Forum: 118
State Normal School at Ypsilanti: 129
State of Michigan Employees: 190
State of Michigan Library-Michigan-Archives: 97, 224
State News: 134
State Office Building Fire (later Lewis Cass building): 67
State Republican: 22, 23, 25-30, 32-36, 84
Staudt, Deborah: 200
Stebbins, A.C.: 19, 27, 34, 36, 37, 42
Steele, Bud: 107
Stevens, John: 92
Stevenson, Pooh: 118
Stocking, Hiram: 5
Stoddard Building: 176
Stoddard, Howard J.: 74, 202
Stone Lake Condominiums (East Lansing): 182
Store window 1847 recreation: 5
Story, Karl D.: 83, 100, 215
Story Incorporated: vii, 147, 215
Story Oldsmobile dealership: 185, 215
Strand Theater and Arcade: 42, 48, 91, 184 [Theatre]
Street Steam Roller: 53
Studio De Danse: 94
Stulz, Gloria: 200
Sugar Bowl: 104
Suites (ladies clothing store): 78
Summers, Virginia: 219
Summit Steel: ix, 20
Superior Brass and Aluminum Casting Co.: 170
Swanson, Kristen: 99
Swartz, R.W.: 108
Sweeney, Mike: 107
Swick, Max: 107
Switchboard Operator (Michigan Bell): 80
Sycamore Creek: 5
Systems Research Inc. (Burroughs): 163

T
Talboys, Lee: 107
Tally Ho Club: 105
Tarpoff’s (Archie) Restaurant: 108
Tata, Romeo: 93
Taylor, Jacqueline: 141
Technisoft Systems Corporation: 163
Technitron, Inc.: 163
Technology Venture Management: 163
Tecumseh: 2, 3
Teichert, Robin: 200
Telecheck Michigan: 164
Telephone and Telegraph Construction Co. of Detroit: 78
Telephone Equipment Truck: 80
Temple Beth El: 117
Ten Pound Fiddle Coffee House: 118
Theatorium: 91, 165
Theios: 106
Third Ward Park: 99
3800 Building at Capital City Airport: 185
Thoman, Fred, Jr.: 29
Thomas, A.D.: 77
Thomas, David: ii
Thomas, David A.: ii, 218
Thomas (E.R.) – Detroit Company: 47
Thomas, Harris E.: 29, 33, 34
Thomas, Horace T.: 32
Thomas, John: 14
Thomas, Marc O.: ii, 218
Thomsen, Barbara: 92
Thomsen, Richard: 92
Thornberg, Don: 107
Timberlake Apartments (East Lansing): 182
Timothy (Francis) Company: 27
Tompkins (J.H.) Jewelry Store: 51
Tooker, J.S.: 22
Tooker, John C.: 67
Tooker, Smith: 12
Topps Department Store: 181
Torres, Rogelio and Hortencia: 106
Torres Taco House: 106
Towar, James D.: 51, 219
Town Courier: 51
Townsend, William H.: 6
Toxicology Laboratory Center: 163
Toy Story: 78
Transamerica: viii-ix
Tranter Manufacturing Company: 67
Treaty of Saginaw: 3
Trebilcock, Everett R.: 184
Trevellyan, Herbert E.: 83
Trinity African Methodist Episcopal Church: 115
Troyer, Mayor Laird J.: 49
True Blue Gum Company: 41
Trumble, Lee: 140
Trumbull, Edward: 49
Turner-Dodge Ballet Class: 156
Turner-Dodge House: 101, 143
Turner, Dr. F.N.: 13
Turner, George: 13
Turner, James: 13, 17, 22, 99, 100, 102
Turner, Mrs. James: 120
Turner, Richard: 13
Turner, Scott: 100
Turner Street (early photo): 34
Turner Street Farmers’ Market: 35
Twain, Mark: 90
Two Doors Down Gallery: 35

U
Union Building and Loan Association: viii, 20, 73
Union Federal Savings and Loan: vii, 73
United Engine Co.: 45
Unitarian-Universalist: 119
United Church of Christ: 118, 119
United Hospital Expansion Campaign: 123
United Ministries in Higher Education: 118
Union Missionary Baptist Church: 115
Union Savings & Loan Association: 185
United Way: 184
Universal Steel Company of Michigan: vii
University Club of MSU: 103-104, 218
University Mall (East Lansing): 106, 181
University of Michigan: 24, 129, 131
University Oldsmobile: 83, 215
University Publications: 218
University United Methodist Church: 118
Upper Town: 128
U.S. Department of Agriculture: 55

V
“Valiant” Program: 64
Valley Cigar Company: 20
VanDerVoort: 41
Van Driss, Rev. Louis: 114
Van Dyne: 25
Van Keuren, J.I.: 83
Van Peenen’s: 78
Van Sickle, Red: 107
Vanis, Alex: 105
Vanis, Gus and Steve: 105
Vary, Karl and Bee: 92
Vedder, Herman: 24
VerLinden, Edward: 39, 122
Veterans All Wars Monument: 88
Village Market: 107
Vincent, Jay: 138, 185
Vincent, Robert: 136
Vincent (G. Robert) Voice Library: 136
Vincent, Sam: 122
Vlahakis, Jim: 105
Volunteers of America: 52, 53

W
WILS (microphone in photo): 85
WILX: 85
WJIM: 85, 217
WKAR: vii, 84-85, 136, 216
WLNS: vii, 85, 217
WMSB: 85
WREO: 84
WSYM: 84
Walker, Howard L.: 67
Wall, Sherd: 41
Wallington, James F.: ii
Walnut Hills Country Club: 103
Walsworth (Printers): ii
Walter French Junior High School: 42, 181
Wang, Anna and York: 106
Wanger, Eugene: 97
Ward & Son, H.C. (photo-background): 44
Warner & Swasey: 67
Washburn, Lester: 62
Washburn’s Smoke Shoppe: 51
Washington Avenue – 100 block North: 72
Washington Avenue – 100 block South: 25, 153
Waverly Park: 102
Webber, William: 3
Weicamp, Father: 37
Weil, Charles: 24
Weis and Leach Manufacturing: 42
Weis and Lesh: 59
Wesleyan: 119
Wessel, A.C.: 139
West Junior High: 42
Westminster Presbyterian: 115
Weston’s Kewpee’s: 105
Wharton Center for the Performing Arts: 138, 156, 157
Wharton, Clifton: 85, 138
White Brothers String Shop: 70
White, Josh, Jr.: 107
White Motor Company: 67
White Trucks: 83
Whiteley, John: 15
Wiest, Justice Howard: 120
Wilcox Division, Ninth Army Corps: 25
Wilcox, Harvey E.: 54
Wilford, J.W.: 74
Willard, Louis: 189
Williams, Alfred and Benjamin: 4
Williams Auto World: vii
Williams, Fred: 91
Williams, John R.: 131, 132
Williams, Joseph R.: 203
Willys, John: 38
Wilson, Jane: 219
Wilson, William Robert: 60
Win Schulers: 70
Winans (N.H.) & Sons: 44
Windlord III (sculpture): 157
Wiskemann, Geneva: ii, 224
Woelfel, Jim: 204
Wohlert Corporation: 64
Woldumar Nature Center: 101
Wolf, Thomas and Kimberly: 103
Wolverine (Reo Speed Wagon Model): 45
Wolverine Chemical Closet: 40
Wolverine Insurance Company: 78, 79
Women of Faith Action Center: 118
Women’s Aglow Fellowship: 119
Women’s Course (at MSU): 132
Women’s Hall of Fame: 164
Women’s Health Center of Sparrow: 213
Women’s Hospital Association: 120, 212
Woodbrook Apartments (East Lansing): 182
Woodbury, Chester D.: 36, 37
Woodhill Condominiums (Okemos): 182
Woodstone Condominiums (East Lansing): 182
Woodworth, Elijah: 76
Works Progress Administration: 58, 59
Wright, Frank Lloyd: 108
Wright, Karle T.: 219
Wurgess, Daniel J.: 32

Y
Yarnell, Duane: 27, 42, 219
Yerkes Hotel: 25
YMCA: 66, 104
Young, Edward A.: 224
Young, Smith G.: 83
Young Men’s Society: 90

Z
Zaleski, Bishop Alexander M.: 177
Zarkas, David: 106
Zell, Bonnie: ii, 218
Ziegler, Otto (cigars store): 18, 165

*

book cover

book cover

Lansing’s First Fire Engine and Three Pioneer Fire Fighters

Copied from The State Journal – Lansing, Michigan – Wednesday, August 13, 1913 – Pages 1 and 6.

Lansing’s First Fire Engine and Three Pioneer Fire Fighters

A feature that will arouse enthusiasm among the old settlers at the September home-coming and afford an excellent comparison of fire-fighting methods of a half century ago and the present time, will be a demonstration with the old Torrent No. 1, hand fire engine, at the City National bank corner on some date of the week’s celebration.

Captain Julius N. Baker, of the Bingham st. fire station, one of the old living fire fighters of the city, has planned the demonstration with the old engine in which he first broke into the fire fighting game in the city. Captain Baker is very desirous of obtaining the names of any members of the old squads who at any time helped operate the pumps at pioneer time conflagrations. He requests that all old members of the company send in their names to him either by telephone or postcard so that he can get a list and organize a second later day “Torrent Company” for the demonstration.

Hand Engine Valued Relic

The ancient engine now finds a shelter in the Bingham st. fire station after 60 years, a part of the time being a very necessary adjunct to the city’s safety. It was purchased by this city early in the year 1856 from a firm in Rochester, N. Y. At the meeting where the action was taken to buy the equipment, George W. Peck was chairman and R. C. Dart, secretary.

The engine was shipped to Lansing by a devious route from Rochester, owing to the lack of railroad facilities. It was packed and shipped in sections to Buffalo by rail and thence to Detroit by sail boat. From Detroit, after many delays, the engine was forwarded over the Michigan Central to Jackson. Jackson ended its rail journey and after that its sections were loaded onto “pungs” drawn by oxen over partially broken roads. One section of it was stuck in the mud near Rives Junction and with difficulty gotten out of the swamp.

The whole engine finally arrived overland in Lansing May 12, 1856. The sections were unpacked near where the Grand Trunk railroad station now stands. At this point it was assembled, decorated with flowers and headed by throngs of “dressed up” and enthusiastic citizens was hauled to its house on the south side of East Allegan st. The day of the arrival of the engine was made a gala one. There were speeches and a general celebration. Immediately after the arrival of the equipment a company was formed and named “Torrent No. 1.” The organization derived its name from the fact that the majority of the members had been members of a fire company in Rochester, N. Y., of the same name. Nearly all the early pioneers were New Yorkers.

Sold to Cheboygan

The engine, after this city had otganized a fire department under the jurisdiction of the council, was sold to the city of Cheboygan. A year ago James P. Edmonds, whose father was of the city’s early fire chiefs and who had often directed the movements of the ancient water thrower, and Alderman Oscar McKinley, discovered the ancient engine while at Cheboygan. Sentiment prompted them to purchase it. After years of disuse and neglect it was finally returned to the city where it was formerly held in considerable respect by the early pioneers.

Captain Baker’s proposed demonstration will be at the old reservoir at Washington and Michigan aves., a water storage that hundreds of persons walk over each day without knowing of its existence. The reservoir is kept filled to this day for emergency purposes and will hold over 1,000 barrels of water. Two similar reservoirs are located beneath the streets at the south of the Buck furniture store and north of the F. N. Arbaugh department store.

Talk of the Old Days.

“Lansing practically burned up under that engine,” said Capt. Baker of No. 4, indicating the old hand pump, which is on exhibition at the station. Although it has been strenuous service for many years and has been retired for half a century, the apparatus is in excellent condition and could yet give a hearty account of itself. The pumps are double-acting and are of a powerful mechanical type, and are operated by handles on each side of the engine and capable of throwing three streams at high pressure. The body of the truck is of solid mahogany, inlaid and the casting are of solid brass. The metal frame work of the engine is hand wrought, and withal the apparatus is a work of art.

“Fires which broke out in the old town from time to time consumed blocks of the business district during the service of the old hand engine, manned by volunteers.” said Capt. Baker, who has been a fire fighter for over 38 years. Coming to Lansing in 1858, Mr. Baker’s acquaintance with the development from a village in the swamps dates from that time.

Walked Here From Detroit

“I walked here from Detroit by way of the old plank road, which ran through the college campus and onto Franklin avenue,” said Mr. Baker. “This was the route of the old stage, which then turned south through the woods down the present route of Washington avenue to the present town.” No stage ever came over East Michigan avenue between here and East Lansing. The terminal for the stage was the old Ohio hotel at the corner of Washtenaw and Washington, opposite the Hotel Downey.

“When I came here I lived with an uncle at the corner of Washington and Shiawassee. At that time the only brick buildings in the upper town were those of the Cole and Bailey blocks at the corner of Washington and Michigan avenues. The Episcopal church at that time stood on the present site of the opera house and the city school building was the Townsend st. school. I remember attending the laying of the cornerstone for the old Catholic church, which was then built in the woods near the corner of Madison and Chestnut.”

Fires Visit Village

“An early fire, which is remembered by few residents, burned the block from the Downey to the Butler on a cold winter morning, and a similar blaze took the buildings between Kalamazoo and the present Commercial hotel. V. R. Canfield, the coal man, and myself got our ears frozen during the first fire, which occurred shortly after the old steamer had been introduced. The extreme cold froze water in the air chambers and caused them to burst leaving the firemen practically helpless except for the valiant service of the old hand engine.”

Westcott Was First Chief

“K. W. Westcott was the original chief of the old volunteer department, which comprised the two companies of the upper town and that at North Lansing. Saginaw st. was established as the fighting line, and although in times of fire the two companies gave the heartiest cooperation, no fireman ever crossed the line alone without taking chance of a fight”

“If a fireman from the upper town ventured down to the north village he invited an attack from the fireman of that locality and similarly were the north end boys shy of crossing Saginaw. I remember that my uncle sent me to the North Lansing mill to get bran for his cow. I took a wheelbarrow as far as Saginaw, where I sat down and waited the length of time it would take to make the trip, and returned with the report that I could get none, not carrying to take a licking from any of the Dutch.”

“A half-way house of the old wayside inn type, which stood on the corner of Saginaw and Washington avenue, which is still vacant, caught fire one night and both companies responded. A dispute arose over which company was to take charge of the fire and developed into a fight between the “Dutch” and the firemen from the upper town, the building meanwhile burning down.”

Active in Social Life

“There was only one social class in Lansing at that time, the residents comprising a single happy family. Church socials were the principal feature and were always largely attended. During the winter, skating on the Grand river was a popular social diversion, participated in by everybody. At times the volunteer company belonging to a single engine numbered as high as 10 men, and always took part in social activities. Many of the prominent business men were members of the fire companies; often becoming so to escape jury service from which firemen were exempt.”

“The town was an informal community in those days” continued Mr. Baker. “I remember when the Prudden block was originally built, that the stores occupying the site were moved into the street where they remained while the merchants continued to do business in them until the completion of the new stores. Whenever a new building was to be raised clerks from the capitol which was than a square brick building, would come out and make it a function.”

An attempt will be made to secure several of the old firemen’s trumpets which are in the hands of a number of Lansing families. The trophies were won by the Lansing boys in contests at Ionia and with Ann Arbor and other firemen from points about the state.

Photo Caption: K. W. Westcott, original chief, with Fireman Alex Cline and Ned Burton of North Lansing. All are dead.

*

Lansing's first fire engine and three pioneer fire fighters-1913-08-13-Lansing, MI-firemen photo

original article - page 1

original article – page 1

 

original article - page 6

original article – page 6

Motor Car Age Wipes Out Last Sign of Old Interurban Line

Copied from The State Journal – Lansing, Michigan – Sunday, July 27, 1952

Motor Car Age Wipes Out Last Sign of Old Interurban Line

US-127 Job Brings Back Memories

By Fred C. Olds, Journal Staff Writer

The big green interurban car was hitting a fast clip as it rounded the long curve at the Harper road crossing and started south down the straightaway toward Mason.

This was a “time” stretch and time was all-important for the Michigan United Railway’s limited runs, listed on the time card at 1 hour and 10 minutes for the 37 miles between Lansing and Jackson.

Dropping down the well-balasted grade the motorman advanced his controller and the miles began to fly as he edged the big car’s speed past 50, 60, 65 and up to 70 miles an hour.

Slower-paced autos and an occasional farm team traveling on the adjacent blacktop highway blurred past the car windows and a low-throated whistle beeped its mellow warning at rural crossings.

Pride of the Line

The Lansing-Jackson “limited” runs were the pride of the old M. U. R.’s interurban network reaching from Lansing to Jackson and westerly to Battle Creek and Kalamazoo.

From Lansing, divisions also ran east to Owosso and north to St. Johns. In its heyday the company listed 400 miles of line. But it has been only history for many years. The M. U. R. called it quits in these parts in 1929.

Bulldozers and huge earth-moving equipment even now are engaged, between Holt and Mason, tearing up the old M. U. R. right-of-way to provide room for the new divided highway on US-127.

Ironically, the automobile, which perhaps more than anything else served to destroy the interurban, now repossesses the latter’s “iron” road to speed its travels between Lansing and Ingham’s county seat.

Recalls Final Trip

Charles Grof, of 225 Shepard st., who for many years was a conductor with the company, made the last run May 27, 1929, on the St. Johns line. The last run from Owosso to Jackson via Lansing (a night run) came the following day.

That was 20 years after commencement of interurban service between Lansing and Jackson, with through service starting in November of that year, Mr. Grof recalls.

Work started at both the north and south ends of this division and, for a time, cars were operated between Lansing and Mason before the Jackson link was completed.

Service was then extended to St. Johns and then to Owosso. While the Lansing-Jackson line was being built, steam locomotives were used before it was electrified. The St. Johns run operated for a time, however, as a steam line, Mr. Grof recalls.

Roy Adams of Mason, at one time station agent there, remembers the difficulty the company experienced in putting rails through the city.

As was the case in many other communities of that era, merchants sought to have the interurban tracks built through the business section, but the company balked at such a move in Mason.

Finally, to forestall such action, the electric line organized as a steam railroad, giving it power to take right-of-way where needed and, armed with this, put its rails west of the business section on the west banks of the Sycamore creek. The station, part of which is used now as a Consumer Power company station, was located on W. Ash st. near the New York Central railroad crossing in Mason.

Day service was hourly on the Owosso-Lansing and Jackson-Lansing divisions, with alternate runs being “local” and “limited.” Service to St. Johns was on a two-hour basis during the day.

The lines also furnished freight service and passenger cars provided express service to Jackson and Owosso and carried mail on the St. Johns run.

Operated Street Cars Here

The M. U. R. later renamed the Michigan Electric Railway company, also operated the Lansing street car lines which halted operations on April 15, 1933.

The interurban line from Jackson traveled in Lansing on the street car rails from the corner of S. Washington and Mt. Hope ave., to the downtown section. It used the street car barns located where the city market now is, but heavy repairs to interurban equipment were made at the company shops in Albion.

The interurban depot was first located where the Lansing theater now stands, according to Mr. Grof. It later was moved to a building which is now part of the Sears Roebuck store, and then later across the street.

History is progress, someone has said. Which gives point to the fact that gasoline equipment is now engaged in tearing out the old traction line’s right-of-way toward Mason.

A Michigan historian termed the interurban “a transition in modern transportation” which caused people to travel a great deal more and educated folks to look upon travel, not as a luxury, but as a part of normal routine.

*

Motor car age wipes out last sign of interurban line-1952-07-27-Lansing, MI-map photoMotor car age wipes out last sign of interurban line-1952-07-27-Lansing, MI

Lansing Business University history

Copied from the 1986 book – Lansing: Capital, Campus, And Cars – Pages 139 & 140.

Lansing Business University history

In 1867, Lansing was a bustling capital city of nearly 10,000 people. State government was expanding and industry such as carriage manufacturing and mill work was developing. However, many of these men wanted more than these laboring jobs, but work in state government required skills.

That year Henry P. Bartlett and E. P. Holbrook opened the Lansing Commercial College in the Lansing Academy, located in the old Benton House at the northwest corner of Washington Avenue and Main Street. The Benton House was Lansing’s first “fine hotel”, but it was being converted to apartments and commercial use. The school was started to “train young men for positions in the counting houses,” by means of courses in bookkeeping, penmanship, commercial arithmetic, commercial law and business correspondence. By 1880 Bartlett, who taught most of the classes himself, was also offering courses in grammar, algebra, and geometry. He also changed the name to Bartlett’s Business College. Bartlett sold it to W. A. and C. E. Johnson in 1887, and the brothers changed the name to Interlake Business College.

In 1898 Herbert J. Beck purchased the school, naming it Lansing Business University and adding A. C. Wessel in 1904 as a teaching partner. Competition appeared in 1905 when the Central Michigan Business College was incorporated. Competition between the two schools was intense, but they settled their differences in 1907 with a merger. In 1914 Charles E. Ebersol took over and combined the operation with the Lansing Commercial Institute.

William Dowden acquired the school in 1920, broadening the curriculum and in 1923 moved the school to 130 W. Ionia Street where it remained for more than 30 years. He continued as president and manager until his death in 1932, and he was succeeded as president by his wife. Mrs. Dowden continued until 1951 when she sold the school to Robert Sneden of Grand Rapids.

In 1961 Clark Construction Company built an eight-story building at Capitol Avenue and Ottawa Street to house the school and other offices. In August 1977 the school moved to its own building at East Kalamazoo Avenue and Cherry Street. In 1979 the school was acquired by Davenport College of Business, a Grand Rapids institution that grants two-year associate business degrees, and the name was changed to the Davenport College of Business.

*

Additional Information that I have gathered:

– According to a September 6, 1887 Lansing’s Pride article, the proprietors – Johnson Brothers acquired it December 1886 and was known as the Capital City Business College. Contradiction to the above article.

– In a February 22, 1893 newspaper ad, L.B.U. was located in the Baird & Hudson Building, corner of Washington Avenue and Washtenaw street.

– From a program that I have, LBU graduation exercises on April 22, 1952 were held in the Hotel Olds Ballroom.

– About May 2000, Davenport College became Davenport University.

– Main Street’s name was changed to Malcolm X Street in 2011.

– And in the Summer of 2013, Davenport University moved to 200 S. Grand Ave. at Allegan St.

*

photo from Aug. 2013

photo from Aug. 2013

Buck family furniture company history

Copied from The State Journal – Lansing, Michigan – Saturday, March 16, 1929

Three Generations Have Carried on Business History of Michigan Furniture Store, From Log Shop Started in 1848, to Present Establishment

From a small cabinet making shop started Oct. 8, 1848, to the present large furniture store which several days ago voluntarily petitioned the courts for liquidation is briefly the beginning and the end of the M. J. and B. M. Buck company, Michigan’s oldest furniture dealers.

Daniel W. Buck, the founder, was a native of New York state, born in East Lansing, Tompkins county, April 21, 1828. He was a son of Daniel Buck and a grandfather of the Rev. Daniel Buck, who served as an American soldier in the Revolutionary war. Daniel Buck, the father, was born in New York state, and became a substantial citizen of East Lansing, and was a deacon in the Baptist church there.

That old New York state community has an interesting relationship with the present capital city of Michigan and that was due chiefly to members of the Buck family. Levi Buck, a elder brother of Daniel W., early in the decade of the forties came out to Michigan in company with a number of other pioneers from Tompkins county, including an uncle, Joseph North. Their chief reason for coming to this wilderness was to test some wonderful stories that had been spread over Tompkins county by a party of hunters, who had fabricated a glowing account of a city which had been founded by them at the junction of Grand and Cedar rivers, the site of the present Lansing city.

This party of hunters in the strength of their representations (or rather misrepresentations) succeeded in selling some lots of their supposed city to citizens of East Lansing. The substance of their stories and the city itself were however, a product of vivid imagination, largely prompted by mercenary motives, and the entire location which they described was little more than a swamp.

Two Come On

A little later those who had been inducted to buy lots at East Lansing organized a party to go out and take possession and they reached Detroit before they had learned the real truth about the swindle. So discouraged were they that some of the party turned back but Levi Buck and his uncle Joseph North, determined to make the best of a bad bargain, and accordingly came out to the location of the town that had been pictured to them, and there took up tracts of government land. It was Levi Buck and Joseph North who afterwards really established the site of the town of Lansing, which they named in honor of their old home village in New York state.

In 1847 Daniel W. Buck, a young man not yet 20 years of age, whose experience had come from a quiet life in Tompkins county with an education in the local schools, set out for Michigan to visit his brother at Lansing and incidentally to procure employment. After a short stay he found that he was “broke” so then and there he decided to remain with the young community. Having served an apprenticeship in the cabinet maker’s trade at Ithaca, N.Y., he engaged in business at his trade. Thus the founding of the M. J. and B. M. Buck company located in Lansing for over 80 years.

His first shop was a hunter’s cabin, 8 by 12 feet, 5 feet high and constructed of logs without windows. In those cramped quarters he fitted up a bench and began work on his first piece of furniture Oct. 8, 1948. The first article made in the primitive shop was a table with folding leaves and was sold for $4.

This table was made of red cherry wood. The tree that supplied the material for it once spread its branches over the bank of a “gully” at the intersection of what is now the northwest corner of Michigan and Washington avenues.

Build Log Shop

After the old cabin had been his headquarters for about six weeks, Mr. Buck’s brother built a log and board shop at what is now the northeast corner of Michigan and Washington avenues. Daniel W. Buck had acquired the land there and later sold the lot for $300. The same corner today is regarded as the the most valuable piece of real estate in Lansing, located as it is in the very heart of the business section. Somewhat later he acquired the lot on Washington avenue where the Beck clothing store now stands but sold that for a $20 gold piece.

Six months from the humble beginning of his work as a cabinet maker he was employing a force of 10 men in his furniture factory, and from year to year his business increased until there was from 40 to 60 employees under his general direction. In 1856-? a large factory was erected on the northwest corner of Washington avenue and Ionia street, the site of the present store building. For many years the factory continued to produce all kinds of furniture, much of it hand-made and with a reputation for durability and finish such as only the highest priced goods of the present day could equal. The first bureau manufactured in Mr. Buck’s shop was sold for a load of potatoes, an equivalent of $12. The output of the factory was sold through his own retail shop.

There were no ledgers in those days and Mr. Buck kept what he called memorandum, not on a “memo pad” but on the wall paper that covered part of some of the walls of his store. From the wall he would transfer his ??????? into a day book.

In those early days the advertising columns of the papers were of much greater interest than the news column for the reason that the conception of the news. In the pioneer days was vastly different from that of the present. The merchant announcing his wares and his bargains provided the real news of the day. Mr. Buck was one of the very first merchants to realize the advantage of advertising which was done mostly by the distribution of handbills. But even as early as his day, wood “cuts” were used for display, although it was rare indeed to see a two column “ad.”

In 1880-?, largely due to the invasion of machine and corporation methods of manufacture, Mr. Buck discontinued the manufacturing end and devoted his time entirely to selling furniture at retail. For 54 years he was in the business on one site and at the time of his death, March 30, 1908, was the oldest business man in point of active experience in Lansing, his aggregate of service comprising 61 years.

Other Interests

While his career as manufacturing and merchant was sufficient to give him distinction among Lansing’s citizens. It by no means included all his activities in the community.

To him is due the credit for the erection of the Buck opera house, which was dedicated in March 1873, and opened the following May by Edwin Booth, and for many years was the home of theatrical and musical entertainment in the city. Mr. Buck and his son, Mayton J., conducted this opera house until 1891.

In politics a Democrat, Mr. Buck took an active part in the affairs of his party. He was a member of the board of alderman during the early 70’s and in 1874 was elected mayor of the city, followed by re-election in 1875. He was again elected to the office of mayor in 1886.

He saw Lansing grow from a primitive village of less than 200 inhabitants to a city of 65,000 and it that growth his own business enterprise was a conspicuous factor. From a cabinet maker with a log cabin shop, located practically in the woods, his business had been developed to a furniture factory employing over half a hundred workmen and after his retirement from manufacturing he continued as of the city’s foremost merchants throughout his long and eventful career in Lansing.

He erected the present store building in 1875 and shortly afterward took in his two sons, Mayton J. and Bailey M. Buck who continued to operate the business successfully after the death of their father. In 1914-? the present building was remodeled and numerous developments have since been made.

Since the deaths of Bailey Buck in 1920 and Mayton Buck the following year the business has remained in the same family and has continued under the manager-ship of B. Russell Buck, son of Bailey Buck.

D. W. Buck was also the founder of the first undertaking establishment in the city which he conducted in connection with his furniture store. This part of the business however will be continued under the same directorship as formerly.

*

original article

original article

Cemeteries are part of city’s heritage

Copied from The State Journal – Lansing, Michigan – Friday, May 28, 1976

Cemeteries are part of city’s heritage

By Mike Hughes, Staff Writer

They are sprawling pieces of Lansing history.

There are 38,000 people buried there, including R.E. Olds and James Turner and J. W. Knapp and Howard Stoddard and E. W. Sparrow and a young drowning victim whose name is still unknown.

THERE’S A soldier who fought in the Revolutionary War and a soldier who fought with Sherman in the Civil War and long rows of soldiers who fought in other wars.

There are simple old headstones now marred and broken and unreadable. And there are giant memorials, shaped like houses and towers and trees and angels.

There are quiet, powerful signs of the devastation of war and disease.

LANSING’S city-owned cemeteries are all spruced up, ready to greet the rush of Memorial Day visitors.

This is the high time of the year for the cemeteries,” Parks Director Ted Haskell said. “I think it used to be just people visiting veterans’ graves, but now it seems like a general time for everyone to visit the cemetery.”

Howard Cannady, who is in charge of the cemeteries agrees, “We’ve had quite a crowd here already,” he said. “Tuesday, we had to empty the trash cans twice.”

NOT ALL of those visitors are there because of friends or relatives. Some are genealogy buffs. Some simply like to be near solitude and beauty and history.

Solitude? Well, maybe not a North Cemetery, a little old place that has been attacked by progress. Now it has an apartment building towering over one side, busy throughways and brash commercial strips closing in on other sides.

But at the other two, Mt. Hope and Evergreen, there’s a feeling of quiet serenity. There’s a total of nearly 200 acres, with rolling hills, woods and a rural mood.

BEAUTY? BOTH the landscaping and the monuments are often spectacular.

The history? Haskell began noticing that when he started working for the parks department 26 years ago.

His job then was to cut the grass and trim the trees, but he often found himself stopping to read the headstones. “It reminds you of the play ‘Our Town.’ You remember how that was set in a cemetery, with each one having its own story.”

THERE ARE plenty of those stories in the Lansing cemeteries.

Even if you’d never heard of him, for instance, you could tell that Ransom Eli Olds must have been someone special. His large, columned mausoleum is at the top of a hill. To get to it, you walk up a shrub-lined stairway with 17 stone steps. The building has stained-glass windows and a copper door.

By contrast, one recent headstone has no name on it. The young man’s body was found in a river and was not identified. Still, a woman comes and decorates his grave, apparently because she feels someone ought to. This year, she’s planning to bring a flower urn.

AND ANOTHER gravestone tells of a young family, with three children, that was killed in a car accident. At the top of the stone, there are statues of three angels.

The city bought new flags this year for each of the veterans’ graves in area cemeteries: 3,600 of them. “It’s only when all the flags are out like this that you see how great the local involvement was,” Haskell said.

Many of those 3,600 weren’t war victims. But many others were, and part of that story is told at the “Little Arlington” section of Evergreen.

HASKELL AND Cannady walk among the rows of flags there and read the dates on the gravestones – 1944, 1945, 1944. 1944, 1945, 1943, 1945 … on and on. “You know, you hear so much about taxes,” Haskell said. “I suppose this is another kind of tax that a community pays.”

It’s the Little Arlington section that receives the spotlight each Memorial Day weekend.

After World War II, Lansing people began looking for a special memorial. The city agreed to set aside a special hillside spot, with enough room for 125 graves. Some 11,417 people and groups contributed a total of $25,000 for a monument.

THAT MONUMENT, dedicated in 1950, is an imposing sight. It’s a 17 ½-foot, 36-ton spire of Vermont granite. Chiseled on one side are these words: “To those who served their country well and those who died that our ideals of freedom should not be forever lost, this memorial is sincerely and humbly dedicated.”

There will be a parade at 10 a.m. Saturday in downtown Lansing, followed by a quiet noon ceremony at Little Arlington. Then, throughout the long three-day weekend, thousands of people will come to visit.

The cemeteries that thousands will visit this weekend have come a long way since they were first developed more than a century ago.

THE CITY has had a cemetery even before it had any parks. The first one was in what’s now Oak Park, in the northern part of town.

Then, in 1873 the city picked out an obscure spot at what was then the southern city limit. “People thought it was just a hopeless old sand hill,” Haskell says.

With planning and care, that “hopeless sandhill” became Mt. Hope Cemetery, a stunning peace of landscaping. Now it stretches over 84 acres, with 27,500 people buried there. (The Oak Park burials were eventually moved there.)

EVERGREEN WAS added in 1922. It totals 104 acres, with 11,005 burials so far.

And North was added when the city annexed some land from Delhi Township in 1960. It includes 3.77 acres and 356 burials.

Mt. Hope and North are already sold out, although there are still some spots for families that reserved large sections. There are about 500 new burials a year and at this pace Evergreen will be sold out in another 30 years or so.

OVER THE years, the city’s cemetery division has grown into a $250,000-a-year operation, with nine people working full time and 19 other seasonal workers. The interest from the perpetual care fund alone comes to $90,000 a year.

The parks people are in charge, and Haskell says that’s a logical enough combination. The basic elements are the same as in the rest of the parks work – landscaping, maintaining and management.

Haskell, like previous Lansing parks directors, is a forestry graduate who had no background in running a cemetery. But he’s picked it up along the way, and has even written a nationally published pamphlet on cemetery management.

THE CEMETERIES reflect the fact that foresters have been in charge. They offer plush mixtures of different types of trees, shrubs and greens.

And the monuments also provide a visual feast.

At one point, near the entrance of Mt. Hope, huge markers reel off the names that have become famous in Lansing – Olds, Dodge, Turner, Sparrow, Potter, Ranney, Scott, Stoddard, Prudden, etc.

THE JAMES Turner spire towers into the sky. The Prudden mausoleum is huge and imposing. The Dr. George Ranney monument includes a plaque spelling out the colorful highlights of his life – surgeon and prisoner-of-war during the Civil War … Congressional Medal of Honor winner … founder of the state medical society in 1866 … wrote paper in 1874 that first showed the relationship between bad water and typhoid fever outbreaks … etc.

And then there’s the “Little Arlington” monument at Evergreen, towering and dominating. Another inscription there will be seen by a lot of people during the Memorial Day weekend.

By the grace of almighty God may all who pass this way hold sacred in their hearts the memories of those who fought and died that liberty might live.”

*

photo-1976-05-28-Cemeteries are part of city's heritage-Lansing, MI1976-05-28-Cemeteries are part of city's heritage-Lansing, MI

 

 

Michigan School for the Blind 100th Anniversary

Copied from the Lansing State Journal – MI – Sunday, September 28, 1980

Blind students treated ‘too normally,’ they say

MSB alums rap modern schooling

By Sharon M. Bertsch – Staff Writer

Football teams and broom making, boarding school deviltry and a chance “to be normal” – the Michigan School for the Blind gave all these things to its children.

For 100 years, it was the boarding school for Michigan’s brightest blind children.

An American revolution occurred in the 1970s, though. State and federal special education laws moved three-quarters of Michigan’s blind children back to their homes and community schools.

Multiply-handicapped blind children were taken out of mental institutions and sent to school for the first time in history.

ABOUT HALF of the school’s students now are retarded, if only because blindness makes it hard for them to conquer their other handicaps. More than half the 115 students are “severely multiply-impaired.”

Teaching these children is so expensive that the executive branch of the state government is trying to merge MSB with the School for the Deaf in Flint or find a way to cut costs.

Many of the school’s graduates view the revolution with horror.

It’s a revolution that no one was prepared for,” says poet Lucille Sawyer, who attended the school in 1920-28 and now lives in the Riverfront Apartments.

Shunted” into public schools, blind children can’t shine socially or in extracurricular activities, many Lansing MSB graduates believe.

The sighted world will “accept an unsighted child to a line, and beyond that they won’t go,” John Noland declared in his wife Erna’s concession stand in the Highway Building downtown.

NOLAND ENTERED the school’s fourth grade in 1920 and left in 1929. His wife finished the last three years of high school there in 1933.

MSB, though, had football, basketball and wrestling teams playing other small high schools like Williamston and Webberville. MSB had marching bands, proms and plays.

School Superintendent Nancy Bryant likes the change. “I would not send my own children away to school,” she has said.

Attending boarding school for years – going home only for summer vacations and perhaps Christmas and Easter – “disenfranchised them from their communities in a sense,” she says.

That’s why the neighborhood around the school has been a virtual “ghetto” of MSB graduates for years, she contends.

Laughter and deviltry transformed a strict school into a home they loved, though.

We laughed our way through school,” recalls Mrs. Sawyer.

RULES WERE strict. In the early years, boys and girls weren’t supposed to play together or even write a member of the opposite sex.

Boys and girls, as everywhere, though, found ways to get together.

Oh gosh, there’s all kinds of corners up there. It’s a blessing the school house can’t talk,” Noland joked.

I don’t think we were any better than the teenagers today,” agrees Mrs. Noland.

Like boarding students elsewhere, they filched the domestic science teacher’s fudge supply and raided a custodian’s cache of Prohibition wine and cider from the broom shop.

And they skipped school at 11 p.m. to walk to Potter Park to swim, recalls Clarence Horton, former supervisor of Michigan’s blind concession stand operators. The boys had “a standing rule that worked on everything.”

The superintendent at the time admired their spunk. Some of the pranks he tolerated would cause a statewide scandal nowadays.

THE BOYS pitched an unpopular principal, dressed in his best wedding suit, into a bathtub of cold water. When every boy in school confessed to the crime, the superintendent just took their senior dance away.

Life wasn’t all fun, though.

Several graduates mention one administrator who beat and taunted the orphans, illegitimate children or “people from the Southeastern part of Europe.”

When Lillian Hart, now 95, went to the school as a teacher in 1918, it was still “an institution.”

The school dressmaker had one pattern and dressed the state wards – orphans – alike in Indianhead cotton uniforms and sateen bloomers, Miss Hart and Clarence and Agnes Horton recall.

You could tell the girls on the state.” Horton said. “They didn’t do that to the boys. They took them to Kositchek’s” clothing store.

When “a child from a loving home” entered MSB, Mrs. Sawyer could “smell the difference.”

He had another dimension from us. He smelled different, of nice clothes and Ivory soap.”

WE DIDN’T have the confidence that blind children do now. We were more institutionalized.”

By the 1920’s, the school was loosening up a bit. Radios expanded the children’s world, Miss Hart recalled. She lived at the school as a geography teacher until she retired in 1946 and moved to West Michigan Avenue.

By the time Mrs. Horton became an MSB music teacher in the 1930s, the Lions Club Auxiliary was providing used clothing for the orphans.

Another big change occurred when the school convinced Michigan State College professors that blind students were as mentally able as the sightless.

An even bigger change occurred when the school began helping its graduates find jobs in the late 1950s and 1960s, Mrs. Horton recalled.

Mrs. Noland got a teaching certificate from MSC, for example. But no school district would hire a blind teacher. Her younger brother Harold, also blind, was hired by Lansing School District only because a West Junior High teacher befriended him. Harold, who still teaches at Everett High, was one of the first blind teachers in Michigan.

For many children, MSB was their only chance for an education.

Few school districts outside big cities like Detroit and Grand Rapids had classes for blind students.

When Agnes Horton’s parents moved from Chicago to Michigan in 1918, they left six-year-old Agnes in a boarding house so she could attend Chicago’s only school for the blind.

SHE WENT crosstown daily on a street car. A policeman and a student hired for the purpose met her at the two transfer points. When she moved to the Michigan School for the Blind at aged eight, it seemed more like home.

Teachers were dedicated and tried to alleviate the institutional atmosphere with little personal touches, Mrs. Horton recalls.

She liked the matron who dabbed each girl with a drop of perfume before marching them off to church on Sundays.

Early teachers weren’t trained to teach blind children, however. When Miss Hart came in 1918, it was “just another teaching job,” she thought. Braille was “really Greek to me.”

Later she was one of the few teachers to learn to read Braille.

Hired for $40 a month – the same wage teachers received when the school opened in 1880 – Miss Hart worked day and night, and Saturday and Sunday.

Most teachers stayed only a couple of years, got married or moved on,” Miss Hart said.

AMERICANS TODAY understand handicaps better, Mrs. Sawyer thinks.

At the time, though, the school pleaded with parents to treat their blind children like “normal youngsters.”

Now, as Mrs. Sawyer complains, they’re treating blind children so normally that they’re taking them out of the Michigan School for the Blind and putting them in regular public schools.

And she and her schoolmates don’t approve one bit.

*

Note: In 1994, the Michigan School for the Blind closed in Lansing and merged with the Michigan School for the Deaf in Flint.

*

1890

1890

original 1980 article

original 1980 article